Where are you going, color picker?!

Started by Eric Summers, February 18, 2021, 09:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Summers

I'm fairly certain that I am not the only one who has had to deal with the color picker showing up in odd locations. But, up until now, the window would usually just be cut off on the left side and I could pull it into view. Or it would show up somewhere completely different. Today however the attached screenshot happened...
With the top of the window off-screen I couldn't do anything but close KeyShot and hope that it would show up somewhere else (which it did) when I re-opened KS. It's just a little maddening when the window doesn't have a consistent location that it opens, like the geometry view and mat graph do.

Anindo Ghosh

I've had this problem with the color picker a few times. Try this:

<Alt>-<space> <M>
Then use the cursor keys to move the window down. Mouse dragging doesn't work.

Eric Summers

Quote from: Anindo Ghosh on February 19, 2021, 07:23:48 AM
I've had this problem with the color picker a few times. Try this:

<Alt>-<space> <M>
Then use the cursor keys to move the window down. Mouse dragging doesn't work.

Thanks for the tip Anindo! I'll have to try that out next time it happens.

HaroldL

I've noticed the window sometimes opens off the bottom of my screen. I even had the anim window open off the bottom of the screen. I think that is related to having the real time render window aspect locked though cuz when I unlock it I can move the window back into view.
I thought there was a Windows setting that would force all windows on the screen, or am I mistaken?

mattjgerard

posittion your curser on the edge frame of the color picker window where it turns in to a double arrow for resizing and click. It will pop down into the frame. This happens to me because my screen resolutions are different.

Eric Summers

Quote from: mattjgerard on February 21, 2021, 05:23:36 PM
posittion your curser on the edge frame of the color picker window where it turns in to a double arrow for resizing and click. It will pop down into the frame. This happens to me because my screen resolutions are different.

That would explain it for me. My main monitor is 4k and my secondary is a widescreen 1080p in portrait mode :o (strange I know, but it works really well).

Zeltronic

Same trouble for me and both monitors have the same resolution, so different screen resolution look not not to be the key of the problem...:(

richardfunnell

Same thing happened to me yesterday on a single, 4K monitor. I couldn't fix it, just had to restart KeyShot (during a live session with a client, no less).

Hopefully this gets fixed soon, but thanks for that hot key workaround @Anindo Ghosh!