intake rendering, tips please

Started by aebstract, November 14, 2011, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aebstract

Attached is a rendering that is in progress, I was hoping to get tips from everyone on what I should do to improve this image and re-render it over night. That's why I'm posting an unfinished picture just to show, its at half size of actual render, just trying to get some feedback before the end of the day so I can set up a little queue for the night.

feher

You need some more shape in the black plastics I feel it's too flat. Other then that it looks good. Would like to see some of the white on top of the intake like it is on the side. You might have to set up two renders over night then combine them in photoshop. Lighting for the top and then one for the side. This is just a suggestion. Looks good as is.
Tim

aebstract

The lighting idea sounds good, I'm trying to use an hdri that has some colors and shapes in it to get reflections to hopefully make it more realistic. I can rotate and get a little bit more brightness to the top, was trying to find a good middle point. I should have posted this but the preview shot would give a better example of what I got here, so I'm attaching to this one.

One thing I'm definitely not happy with is the front where the round piece connects to the body, you can't even tell there is a thickness to it where it bolts to the body. Just need different lighting angle?

Speedster

Nice job so far!  don't forget that you can also adjust the height of an HDR, most helpful at times.  You could make a third lighting pass, added to what tim suggested.
Bill G

EGON

I just put it in PS image adjust Shadow Highlight . Quick fix on blacks.

PhilippeV8

Ok, now the side parts are perfect.  So are the black areas.
Only the top part is still a bit flat/uninteresting and the area which you indicated where the bolts are.
I don't know any tips for a fix though ..  :(
Keep up the good work !

aebstract

Yeah so I can definitely touch it up afterwards with photoshop, that isn't a problem at all. Also, are you talking about the top being flat? I think it looks pretty good, I'll try changing the light to hit the top a little more but my biggest concern of all is that front part. Attached is a shot of it in solidworks (no bolts) and how you can see the thickness.

PhilippeV8

What I meant for the top part is that it looks like an illustrator poly with a gradient.  As far as I can see it isn't just a sheet metal, bended in 1 direction.  It has more shape in it than we can see clearly .. maybe adding a bumpmap with some brushed lines might show the real shape better ... or a decal or such ?

aebstract

I'm getting some extra help and will post back in a couple days with updated results. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions :]

Speedster

I noticed from your screenshot- you need to add small fillets or chamfers to all edges.  These will act to reflect catchlights, and will enhance form, definition and separate parts and shapes.  Just think "de-burring".

Keep us posted on your progress!

Bill G

PhilippeV8

Good tip.

I started doing that myself recently.