Main Menu

Proper Skin Shader

Started by garebear, March 02, 2021, 12:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garebear

I use the translucent material to acceptable effect but it would be nice to see a proper skin shader in Keyshot. When compared to something like Daz, the translucent material in Keyshot falls way short. When inputting the textures form a program like Daz, I get nothing even close to the result I'm looking for.  Not to mention the extreme jump in render time using the translucent material creates.

My biggest issues are with the dark edges/fall off that occurs and the fact that when using translucent material a normal map is basically useless. As well as specular and roughness acting sorta strange. It's difficult to get the kind of tight skin highlights from direct light without drastically increasing the specular values and tanking the roughness (which has obviously adverse effects to the rest of the material areas). How I know this can be improved is by simply looking at how the Daz skin shader or even Blender's shaders handle the same texture maps.

Like I said, I'm able to produce acceptable results with the translucent material but it takes a LOT of tweaking depending on the scene lighting and amount of detail I need - close up or wide shot. The best part of Keyshot is the speed you can produce realistic renders, but when doing a render with skin (nothing improves the realism of a render, product or art, like the addition of a believable human element) my work time skyrockets due to the need to tweak the material over and over and the time in-between for the increased res-up times.

PS. A hair shader would be very appreciated as well!