Same texture randomly distributed to other components?

Started by Daniel Kurth, March 24, 2021, 04:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Kurth

Hello,
I have already tried to find an answer to my question and didn't find a solution for my problems.

In my first case I am not talking about single models or components.
Rather, I would like to put, for example, a wood decor on several kitchen fronts. Covering with a material is easy, of course. But then all fronts always look the same!
It would be ideal if I do not have to move the grain for each front individually so that it looks "more real".But if there would be an "option" somewhere that says: "randomly distribute" that would be very helpful. Especially when I reuse the same material on other kitchens or furniture.

The second case is even more complicated.
For example, I have grabed a candy selection here.

In order to make it nice and colorful, I would theoretically have to separate each candy and place them individually. Or at least form several groups. But again, an option like multi-material "randomize" would be cool.

Have anyone of you done this before?

PS:
Here are some similar posts.
https://forum.keyshot.com/index.php?topic=20605.msg91303#msg91303
https://forum.keyshot.com/index.php?topic=21437.0

Daniel Kurth

Hello again,
in the meantime I still have not found a solution. But here I have a screenshot of the result I wanted to get.

You can see my first described problem if you have a look at the lids of the jars. They all look the same at the moment, right?
Here I would like to see that Keyshot would automatically randomize the textures. So I have to do that again for each part individually.
In that case, it's no big deal because there are only a few components. But in larger scenes unnecessary effort, in my opinion.

For the second problem I described, I clicked here by hand wildly into the Candies and created my separate Material groups for green, yellow or other colors. And this is what I mean. Cool would have been if I could drag a multimaterial over the whole group and then randomly the colors are distributed.

Maybe someone has found a solution here after all. Otherwise I hope that someone of the developers reads this and at least keeps in mind ;-)

Trixtr

Looks nice. One suggestion for the texture on the cork lids would be to manually rotate the parts at random angles. Then you won't have to worry. Of course only possible in such a situation and not on kitchen fronts and not really what you were asking for but it could be an easy workaround in some cases.

mattjgerard

Yes, this has been a request for a long time. I've usually had to go into my 3d modeling app and generate the random materials to get the right results. Cinema 4 D makes this pretty easy, but would be awesome to have a function in the multimaterial that would dsitrubte each material in it randomly to the children in a group.

Of course, thats me being a non-coder requesting something that could be a huge pain in the rear to code.

HaroldL

Could have used something like that for this project. Spent the better part of two hours adjusting the wood textures on all the cabinet parts.

Daniel Kurth

Quote from: HaroldL on April 15, 2021, 05:22:55 PM
Could have used something like that for this project. Spent the better part of two hours adjusting the wood textures on all the cabinet parts.

I feel for you HaroldL!
This is exactly the kind of case I meant.
Here is one example of one of my work.
In that case, the dark wood texture helped me conceal the "sameness". There it was not quite so noticeable.  :P

Daniel Kurth

Quote from: Trixtr on April 15, 2021, 05:11:53 AM
Looks nice. One suggestion for the texture on the cork lids would be to manually rotate the parts at random angles. Then you won't have to worry. Of course only possible in such a situation and not on kitchen fronts and not really what you were asking for but it could be an easy workaround in some cases.

Thanks for your answer @Trixtr.

This screenshot should only show the actual situation when you put the texture on the components.
Of course, I changed the textures manually in the final result.  ;)

KristofDeHulsters

This is definitely a limitation that I've also found with Keyshot, I currently resolve this by making the specific material that I'm looking for as a procedural texture (you can make wood procedural), it is then as easy as just changing the 'seed' slider to alter the look of your texture. It requires a little bit more time to setup and get right but if you are doing a lot of these it does make sense.

HaroldL

Thanks for the tip. I did use Oak Wood (Advanced) procedural texture on my file. I looked into and tried changing the seed and although it did change the texture some it was only a variation of what I had already. What I was trying to do is match the grain on the actual cabinet base I was modeling. That took a lot of tweaking of the settings, especially when trying to get the face grain just right and change from, say, face grain to edge or side grain. For that I needed to move the texture quite a bit for the look I was after.