WIPPED; Waste Isolation Personal Plutonium Encasement Device

Started by Speedster, November 19, 2011, 04:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

I think a good way to finance the development of alternative energy is to elevate mid and high level nuclear waste to "investment status".  Properly packaged it could be marketed to the top 1%'ers at an initial price of about $10,800,000 per troy ounce, estimated to be the cost of creating an ounce of it over the past fifty years.  And, the added benefit is that it will retain its value for the next 240,000 years!

Modeled in SolidWorks, rendered in KeyShot 3 Pro.  All box-stock materials.  Groundplane is "Glass, Color Density".  KS3 materials are awesome!

In my last post on the Steampunk Table Lamp, I promised the backstory of my obsession with nuke waste issues.  About 20 years ago I co-founded Concerned Citizens for Nuclear Safety (www.nuclearactive.org) a nuclear watchdog organization in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA.  We were opposing the Waste Isolation Pilot Project, or WIPP, near Carlsbad, NM, that was to "dispose", in a salt mine, low to mid level nuclear waste from weapons production.  Through civil action and lawsuits we kept it closed for 10 years, and even now it's still under severe criticism and scrutiny.

For an art exhibit I machined a medal, very similiar to this one.  It was a big hit, and was acquired by the Smithsonian Institution for the National Numismatic Collection of the National Museum of American History, in Washington, DC.  The decal on the rendering is a scan of a duplicate of the actual engraved nameplate I used on the medal.

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

Pedro_Julio

Awesome.

Terrible, but awesome.

It's kind of a "laugh laugh cry" situation.

Josh3D

Ha! Oh man, can you imagine. Love that story and even more awesome that it had a practical application, that is causing people to think a bit.

Thanks for sharing Bill!