Close-ups are where the rubber meets the road

Started by imikej, May 20, 2021, 07:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imikej

Unidirectional carbon and tire rubber are challenging from a distance.  So, we thought we'd see if we could bring it in close.  Macro-render.  The funny thing about tire rubber is that we ended up making it look like what we think it looks like (what it should look like; what we want it to look like).  Cuz.  When you study it up close, it's pretty nasty.  But, then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....  We've been doing a lot of macro-rendering for clients to show off build quality and fit and finish.  The thing we're finding with macro-rendering is that it's hard to ever be fully satisfied.  So, thoughts and suggestions to this effort would be helpful and appreciated!

KristofDeHulsters

To start of with: your image is really good and for communication purposes. Some details I might add to get more realism:
- The inside of the carbon rim is very uniform.
- Either you have a tube inside or sealant, but adding that would also create more realism.
- I would add minor scuffing to the tire. As you said 'they are pretty nasty looking' but a small amount of imperfections would make the tire more believable. I would look for this at renderings for cars which sometimes have closeups of the tires.

Good luck!

imikej