KeyVR Physics

Started by RonnyHoffmann, May 20, 2021, 01:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonnyHoffmann

Hi all,

Currently I try to set up a KeyVR scene where the users needs to put different objects into shelves, baskets, etc.
Therefore I want to utilize the physics option of KeyVR. However, I am not able to place an object on an other (fixed) object. I tried to interpret the workflow based on the Tutorial Scene but in my case, the objects always fall trough/penetrate the objects where those should be placed on.

I tried it with different objects but non of those worked. I also tried it by activating ,,collision" on the target object (assembly as well as subparts) in KeyShot.

What could be the causes? Do play materials or the CAD axis orientation a role?

Thx
Ronny

Jan Simon

Hi Ronny,

KeyVR will keep objects fixed in place if they are 'locked' in KeyShot. So your baskets or shelves need to be locked, whereas the objects you want to put in these should be unlocked (so you can move them).

The only other thing affecting the KeyVR physics system is the scale of your scene, there's a known issue for very small objects falling through solid surfaces.

Jan

RonnyHoffmann

Hi Jan,

Thanks for you response.

I am aware that the targets need to be locked and I set up the scene accordingly. I have a SolidWorks assembly with all the elements which are static and hence are then locked in KeyShot and not movable in KeyVR. Next to this assembly I insert individual Parts (e.g. the the plastic bottle form KeyShot Cloud Library and the Lego Truck). Those elements where then movable but still fall trough the locked parts.

In regards to the issue with the scale: could the thickness of the locked target part also have an influence? For example if a tray is comparingly thin in relation to the movable parts?

Best, Ronny

Jan Simon

Yes, internally KeyVR physics works with a 3D set of contact points, spread across the volume of objects. So a paper-thin surface may have objects fall through it. Try adding a couple centimeters of depth to the surface, if possible.

For the record, we are planning to improve KeyVR's physics capabilities (both to make it more robust in situations like these, as well as to greatly improve the performance of the physics calculations) in the future.