Render Preview - Recycle Right Bins Project

Started by Tommyc, August 13, 2021, 10:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommyc

Hi everyone!

Here are some Keyshot render previews from my final year Thesis project (Industrial Design) that I worked on a while ago, contextual scenes to close-ups!

For more project information and other renders, check out the link here:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/125251793/Recycle-Right-Bins

All feedbacks are welcomed!

Cheers,
Tommy
https://www.instagram.com/tommyy.design/

KristofDeHulsters

Great presentation, one question: why the sticker with bottles on the bottom of the transparent container? It seems to me that if people see in massive letters BOTTLES, they'll start throwing in bottles and then the people after won't even have to read it anymore, they'll just see the bottles in the containers.

Tommyc

Quote from: KristofDeHulsters on August 14, 2021, 08:48:58 AM
Great presentation, one question: why the sticker with bottles on the bottom of the transparent container? It seems to me that if people see in massive letters BOTTLES, they'll start throwing in bottles and then the people after won't even have to read it anymore, they'll just see the bottles in the containers.

Thanks for the question! Yes, it has helped in narrowing down to the right recyclables thrown inside. Beyond the primary visual cue BOTTLES messaging, typically users would then look at the state of bottles collected before making their decision to recycle or dispose of their waste item (building a positive social norm). The image representation of the bottle acts as a secondary message of the right quality and state to be recycled, especially when the container is emptied at the start of a new day. Over time, the identification of those right items aids in reducing the contamination level apart from the other 2 features; items display and slide-able lid.

KristofDeHulsters

Quote from: Tommyc on August 14, 2021, 10:13:21 AM

Thanks for the question! Yes, it has helped in narrowing down to the right recyclables thrown inside. Beyond the primary visual cue BOTTLES messaging, typically users would then look at the state of bottles collected before making their decision to recycle or dispose of their waste item (building a positive social norm). The image representation of the bottle acts as a secondary message of the right quality and state to be recycled, especially when the container is emptied at the start of a new day. Over time, the identification of those right items aids in reducing the contamination level apart from the other 2 features; items display and slide-able lid.

I figured that it was a secondary cue. Too bad you have to do that as I think it takes away from the design work. But it makes you images all that more realistic. Sometimes you just have to be very obvious for everyone to understand it properly.

RRIS

Quote from: KristofDeHulsters on August 16, 2021, 07:41:17 AM

I've designed some underground waste containers for a large city here in the Netherlands, unfortunately city counsels will often have all kinds of rules/regulations that dictate that waste containers need to be of certain colors, have certain labels and stickers. It's something that needs to be kept in mind during the concepting phase, otherwise you can be in for a nasty surprise later on.

I figured that it was a secondary cue. Too bad you have to do that as I think it takes away from the design work. But it makes you images all that more realistic. Sometimes you just have to be very obvious for everyone to understand it properly.

Tommyc

You're on point with that, especially with waste disposal habits that are almost automatic, 'mindless' movements. I learned that it's a specific task that requires a specific way of presenting information when users have been recycling a certain way with the misconceptions/confusions they have, that needs a refresher in getting it right (based on Singapore context). That was the design challenge I had with this project, finding that balance with the design work (interactive features) and information architecture (Text and images) displayed, making it informative and intuitive in usage. I appreciate the feedback!

Tommyc

Quote from: RRIS on August 18, 2021, 12:39:51 AM

I've designed some underground waste containers for a large city here in the Netherlands, unfortunately city counsels will often have all kinds of rules/regulations that dictate that waste containers need to be of certain colors, have certain labels and stickers. It's something that needs to be kept in mind during the concepting phase, otherwise you can be in for a nasty surprise later on.

Hi there! Indeed, that was one of the key criteria in making sure the bin concept could be implementable and scalable. I had the opportunity to collaborate with these stakeholders that manage public spaces and understanding the constraints and working around those perimeters with deploying public goods such as the Recycle Right bins. You can check out the fabricated prototypes at the end, in the project link. Thanks for the feedback and tips to look out for!

Pouya Hosseinzadeh

Great design and those colors are so mellow and beautiful!