Rusty Iron material + hammer

Started by svasches, August 22, 2021, 04:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svasches

Hi guys. Today I was trying to improve my rusty iron material and I think that I kinda achieved something that I like.
I attach the examples and a few renders of a hammer that I had fun designing and modeling.

As you may see, it's a metal material + a plastic label with opacity. The opacity texture is the roughness texture modified.
Same for the wooden handle, wood material + plastic label with opacity.

If you have any tips to improve the textures I would love to hear them!
Thanks!
Oh, I leave my IG account just in case you want to see more exercises that I develop during the week.
@svasches.di

KristofDeHulsters

Your images look really good. I would however add a little bit more color variation to your handle. Worn wood like that tends to discolor in places. Especially with the grease of the workman's hand rubbing off on it all the time. I think I would also use a displacement node for some deeper grooves in the steel as the close up shot of the hammerhead looks too perfect.

Other than that, great job man!

svasches

I agree, the handle would look better with more details, I wasn't going for realism tho in this case. The bump isn't enough to convey realism on the head, but it would improve a lot with a displacement map. I would also add something to simulate hammering dents on the edges.

svasches

Quote from: KristofDeHulsters on August 23, 2021, 07:31:19 AM
Your images look really good. I would however add a little bit more color variation to your handle. Worn wood like that tends to discolor in places. Especially with the grease of the workman's hand rubbing off on it all the time. I think I would also use a displacement node for some deeper grooves in the steel as the close up shot of the hammerhead looks too perfect.

Other than that, great job man!

I added a few dents and the roughness as displacement. It's not quite there yet but it looks like a step forward towards realism.

Trixtr

Another realism tip would be to have the impact zone more shiny in areas as though it has been used.
You can find some good images of worn hammers online, if you don't have one available.

KristofDeHulsters

It's indeed an improvement! But that line in the model where it goes from the long extruded bit into the part that hits the nail is just too perfect of a curve. A worn hammer would never have a line that straight, it would be broken up with indents from missing the nail.

If you aren't going for realism, I would always make it very clear that it's not meant to be realistic but more so artistic. You are so close to realism now that I would drive it through all the way.

And again, we're going really far into detail. Those images look great as is already!

Josh3D

Very nice examples of work metal, Santiago! Keep up the great work!

theShopFloor

Image is looking great! love the base materials
To add more realism, if that is what you wanted, I would add a curvature node and mask that hard edge on the hammer head and use a displacement map to provide a chipped and worn edge. A few of the procedural nodes should do it composited together. You could even add a second label using the same curvature to give the edge a shiny version of the metal. The realism on close ups would really punch hard.
Same with the handle, but also as mentioned above, a scuffed oily discoloration on the handle at the hands location with less or no displacement, kinda showing a smoothing from use would also rock the realism.

svasches

Thanks for the tips to increase the realism! I'm not currently looking for it because I don't think I'll use it for anything related to work it for the moment. I'm trying just to understand how materials work and to go only  a few layers deep. But I think I will attempt a realistic approach on something more artistic.

Quote from: theShopFloor on September 02, 2021, 04:46:36 PM
Image is looking great! love the base materials
To add more realism, if that is what you wanted, I would add a curvature node and mask that hard edge on the hammer head and use a displacement map to provide a chipped and worn edge. A few of the procedural nodes should do it composited together. You could even add a second label using the same curvature to give the edge a shiny version of the metal. The realism on close ups would really punch hard.
Same with the handle, but also as mentioned above, a scuffed oily discoloration on the handle at the hands location with less or no displacement, kinda showing a smoothing from use would also rock the realism.