Substance painter textures appearing black in KeyShot

Started by sforsyth, May 23, 2021, 03:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sforsyth

Hi, hoping someone can help me out here.

I'm using ZBrush and the KeyShot bridge to send my objects to Keyshot 10.1 For ZBrush. I then export that same object as FBX so I can open it in Substance Painter and texture it. In Substance Painter, I choose the Keyshot 9+ template for outputting textures and turn on "Export shaders parameters". They all export fine. I go back to KeyShot, and using Tools, Material Importer, I select the  Substance Painter set and drag the material into the scene, but the material then just shows up as entirely black. The thumbnail of my material in the Materials tab shows me my material as I'd expect to see it, and the graph looks good too, but I can't get it to render the material. Am I doing something stupid here?

Attached are screenshots of the Substance Painter 2021.1.1 export dialog and the problem in KeyShot.
Would really appreciate any help!
Thanks,
S

sforsyth

Just to add to this, if I apply the base_color.png generated by Substance Painter onto my model in ZBrush and then send to KeyShot, it loads up fine and displays fine, indicating that UVs are being sent by ZBrush to KeyShot and also that the base_color.png map is good as well. If just seems like the auto generated shader isn't working. Obviously I want the entire shader to be setup using all of the maps from Painter though, and manually setting them all up isn't really an option.
Again, any advice would be appreciated!
S

Zeltronic

Does textures in keyshot have been all set in UV (I suppose so but this the first thing)...
Try to recalculate normal in keyshot, I have seen this trouble on some meshes...
Did you export also mesh from substance painter or only textures ... I recommand export mesh as well .

Jon-213

You need to have some texture in Zbrush to transfer UVs to KeyShot.
Any texture will do the trick.

Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edgKuMESDLE

sforsyth

Thanks Jon, that works a treat!
Zeltronic, I can't export the mesh as I only have the KeyShot for ZBrush, which means I can't import meshes from anywhere other than through ZBrush, which is why I had to get this working from there. As Jon said though, loading any old texture on my object when sending exports the UVs as well.

Thanks a million, much appreciated!
S