Author Topic: Exted KeyShot's Usability  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Will Gibbons

Exted KeyShot's Usability
« on: November 05, 2021, 02:15:21 pm »
At the risk of sounding like I'm complaining or asking for a lot, I'd really like to make a case for some areas in needed of attention.

KeyShot is an easy-to-use, versatile standalone render engine that's great for working with CAD. All that's well and good and it serves this market better than anything else. Unfortunately, it seems like in an attempt to persuade users to upgrade each year, a handful of glossy features get added to the software. And adding these new features take lots of time to develop, so naturally, there's little resources left over to devote to improving other areas of the software.

As the CGI industry matures, requirements of users and expectations have outpaced the development of KeyShot in some ways. I fully understand the 'business opportunity' of offering Configurations/AR/VR/Web/GLT/GLB/3D printing (sorry if I'm forgetting any) and any other ways to consume and present 3D rendered content.

However, the most basic function KeyShot serves is to render. Easy, fast and accurate is what I recall being at the core of KeyShot for many years. Rather than focusing on becoming easier, faster and more accurate in each release, it feels like KeyShot has become more of a "Swiss Army Knife of visualization for CAD users".

I just want to share my observations, not ruffle any feathers. Given the above, I'd really love to see a release or more frequent and smaller releases of KeyShot that address lots of bugs, inefficiencies or extend the usefulness of older features. To me, the list below outlines some of the things that would make KeyShot a much more powerful and valuable tool for ALL of its users regardless of industry or experience level.

Rather than create a new post for each idea, I'll try to keep this updated. If anyone has anything to add that isn't a 'major new feature' but rather a 'small, quality of life' feature that'd make KeyShot much easier, faster more accurate/better to use, I'd like to hear!

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this. Again, my intentions are good with this post!

Rendering
- Resolve Caustics in CPU rendering mode faster (recently rendered a 9,000 sample image on CPU and caustics still splotchy (KS10 Product Mode))
- Apply image adjustments to ALL render passes especially the denoise and firefly filter
- Faster rendering of motion blur & camera blur

Output
- Motion Vector pass
- Multilayer EXR
- Option to output equalized depth pass

Image Adjustments
- Firelfy filter & denoise on a per-material basis
- Support for OCIO color
- Film grain

Cameras
- Lens distortion (spherical distortion checkbox)
- Bokeh control with aperture blade control

User Interface
- All hotkeys to work in geometry view as they do in real-time view
- Click and drag in any value box to scrub value
- Move tool precision mode (modifier key to move more slowly)
- More control in pattern tool such as offset

Material Graph
- Standardize how nodes work (ex. bump add vs. color composite)
- Ability to group and expand nodes
- Ability to color-code nodes
- Ability to add and remove input sockets for nodes (sometimes have to stack color composite/bump add nodes)
- Modifier key to drag node between two others and have the connectors automatically connect
- Value linking. There are so many times when I have to repeatedly change a value... if I could simply copy/paste linked a value across any box (ex. roughness value on 15 different materials) that would be amazing
- Triplanar mapping for procedural textures

Animation
- Control over motion blur amount without having to adjust frame rate
- Ability to load and delete individual frames into the video map node
- Custom curve noise (load noise profile into custom curve node for random values on animated objects)
- Ability to box select and scale vertically/horizontally all keys on a custom curve

Studios
- Assign an in/out value for animations (treating a studio as an animation sequence)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 02:18:21 pm by Will Gibbons »

Offline Zeltronic

Re: Exted KeyShot's Usability
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 04:07:53 am »
I can only subscribe to all of will's observations, of course we each have our own needs and for my part I would like to add to this non-exhaustive list the improvement of the fuzz material which would allow it to be transformed into a real grooming tool, For the rest I fully agree with will, I also love Keyshot but we feel that the development teams are less consistent than on certain competing products which release updates very regularly, we must recognize that a good number of bugs persist and take far too long to be corrected ...

Offline INNEO_MWo

• Senior Technical Consultant @ INNEO (Germany)
    • german KeyShot page from INNEO Solutions
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 06:47:01 am »
That’s a well written list of an expert - chapeau!

Triplanar for 2D procedurals would be nice.
And grouping in material graph  with color codes would help a lot.
Improvement to the ray mask, so it is released feature.

Just my thoughts.

CheerEO
Marco
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 09:25:32 am by INNEO_MWo »

Offline mafrieger

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 03:42:15 am »
simply: +1

btw: some comments pointing in the same direction of "maturity and optimizing of existing/core" could also be found in this topic (by same and additional forum members...)
https://forum.keyshot.com/index.php?topic=28277.0
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 03:50:09 am by mafrieger »

Offline KristofDeHulsters

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 07:10:02 am »
+1 Will, I agree with you completely about Keyshot keeping to their core. I find that there are still a lot of improvements that can be made there instead of introducing VR, AR, ... which has a much smaller application at this time (maybe that will be different in 5-10y from now).

Some things that I would like to see resolved:
- My resolution switching to one pixel smaller in the Render panel than what I set it to before (it's annoying)
- Region render resetting when going into the Render panel (it's annoying)
- Improvements on the match perspective tool
- Being able to use color adjust/color composite on bump maps
- Improvements to the Unwrap UV Tool (so we can actually see the islands)
- Super basic texture painting (I've posted about this before), even just something to paint some opacity maps with would be enough

These are the things that I would have an immediate need for. They're small, but they take frustration away and prevent me switching to different softwares.

Offline mafrieger

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 05:18:02 am »
Another point where a little rework seems to be helpful: efficient usage of GPU in animation: https://forum.keyshot.com/index.php?topic=28389.0