Render Output Size

Started by Vector, May 02, 2010, 03:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vector

Hi… many questions,

Im running Keyshot Educational Version 1.9. I aim to render my Rhino cad file through Keyshot to create a high quality visual to be large format printed for an exhibition space. I am familiar with the software but never rendered an image so big. The final printed visual is to fill a 65" X 45" area. The Keyshot Educational version allows a TIFF render output up to 2400 X 1745. This produces an image 33" X 24" @72dpi in Photoshop CS3. The difference in the render output and the required print is quite considerable. In a perfect world I would like to print at 300dpi, however I think 200dpi will have to do the trick in this instance.

On past tutorials guidelines, I have pretty much kept to the Keyshot’s default render settings… I think this needs to change. Could someone provide render quality setting recommendations to give the best render output to help the image resizing process in Photoshop?

[Obliviously, I didn’t want to over kill the situation by putting every render setting to the max (and sit patiently in front of my poorly 3yr old laptop)… or will this be needed??]

All advice will be greatly appricated.

Jared

Yes I am also interested to know how do you set the limited version keyshot to the highest resolution it will do?
I've just been punching in height and width numbers but they seem to change all the time, and the resolution isn't much better than I get with a screen shot.

guest84672

It is a bug as to where it resets to a random number when the limit is reached. You will need to take the manual approach to find the maximum resolution. Or you can calculate by taking the following steps and using the following formula:

- Set up your shot in real time, using the desired aspect ratio.
- Aspect ratio (AR) is calculated using "Width of the image" / "Height of the image".
- The maximum render size for KeyShot / KeyShot for Education is 4.1 megapixel.
- The maximum width under the given aspect ratio is calculated as follows: Width = SQRT (4.1 megapixels * AR) (SQRT = Square Root)
- Height = Width/AR

I hope this helps.

Thomas

Thomas

Jared

;D Yeah, I'm a designer. I don't do a whole lot of math.  Maybe we could get a fix on this bug.

Thanks for the answer tho!

Vector

Thank you Thomas,

The aspect ratio and math formula is a great help.

In addition, what would be your advice on the 'Quality Settings' under the render tab, for example 'Anti Aliasing' and 'samples'?

If it helps to know what is to be rendered, it is three pieces of furniture, a Chair, Floor Lamp and Coffee Table (glass top).

Thanking you in advance.

guest84672

Hi Victor,

In this example I would leave the AA and samples as they are, and set the pixel filter size to 1.7-1.8 (gives a bit of a blur to soften the edges). If you increase AA you must increase samples to see the effect. But you only need to increase if you have objects with sharp edges and highly reflective materials that are being viewed close to parallel to the screen (I hope this makes sense).

Glad you like my math formula  ;) ... I knew that math degree would come in handy one of these days.

Thomas

raven

Is this pesky "bug" been fixed yet?  I am using V1.9x and unable to render a long narrow rectangle to the 4.1M.
The best I can get is 1600 x 1100...hardly 4.1M.  If I use the desired model size, but then the program auto-reduces the size to something else when it start rendering.  I need 2400 x 1000 (2.4M).  How can this be...I did not see this in the Tech Spec.

Does V2 have the "bug" too....upgrade is in my future.

Say it ain't so Tom

~raven 

Ed

It appears that if I set a render size that is over the max limit in Keyshot 2 (regular version), the image goes through the render process on screen, but of course nothing is saved.

I'd like to see a warning displayed when attempting to render a file over the limit.  Or at least internally apply your formula so I get the max size even if I set it too large.

Ed

raven

Bump

Any status on this 'BUG" and the size restrictions?

~raven