Main Menu

Heavy Duty Clipper

Started by buffmasterbran, November 30, 2011, 11:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buffmasterbran

Modeled in solidworks and rendered in... well I guess it would make sense for to be rendered any where else.

Another shot below.  I would like some feedback if possible.  I have rendered alot of things in which many have been used for packaging, but I very seldom get good feedback.  Please let me know what you think about these.

jhiker

With respect, I don't think the carbon-fibre effect works at all for the body - I think a glossy plastic would be more appropriate, and the cutter housing thing looks distinctly odd - have you got a scratched/brushed texture on there, because it looks far too 'coarse'.
And I don't think the backplate/environment helps the shaver to pop out of the scene at all - maybe some overhead lights and reflections would help.
Keep at it.

youknowwho4eva

In image 1 the steel looks on on the side of the clippers, Like brushed steel or something, and it fades into the background a bit.

As I'm typing jhiker said pretty much the same thing :-P

buffmasterbran

I will deffinitely try to render the first image with a different background, I agree that the image blends with the background.  The texture was choosen by someone else, but I think that it actually looks better than other options that were created.  Thanks for the feedback.

Speedster

You might want to put it on a physical groundplane.  I like to use a thin plane that's mapped in a different color on each side- no matter the colors.  Then, in KS, you can paint the underside in a paint, metal or whatever, and the top surface in frosted glass, for example.  The two sufaces give you a lot to play with.  Light frost on top and "steel plate" under is really neat.

For the scale of the clipper, it seems the carbon fiber is a bit small, and it really needs a clearcoat and specular reflection.  The black plastic and logo would also benefit from some soft gloss.

I know what you mean about colors and materials.  You do your best, but "marketing" never agrees.  I've had to use some really strange stuff, and they usually bomb when the product is released.  Amazing how fast "marketing" can change their mind!

Nice design, and please keep sharing your progress!

Bill G