Assign HDRI pins to cameras

Started by hexgraphica, March 18, 2022, 12:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hexgraphica

Being able to hide/show pins based on the camera preset would tidy things up, instead of creating multiple environments for the same scene, in order to have the perfect lighting for every camera. This could be done in the Environment tab, when editing a pin, with a list of cameras to be checked, and a Check All/None button.

Workflow could be like: checking the main lights for all the cameras, then setting specific pins that are visible only  in selected cameras.

PerFotoVDB

Hi,

This you can do with Studios, no?

Cheers
Per

INNEO_MWo

Why not copy an environment to hide a pin and connect camera with copied env as a studio?

mattjgerard

I think right now you can do that like those above have said, with studios and multiple environments. Which is probably a more robust way of doing it that straight linking the pins to the camera. I don't know any other rendering app that links lights to cameras, but there might be.

hexgraphica

QuoteThis you can do with Studios, no?

This works only if you duplicate environments, which means adjustments in one studio won't translate to the other studio. So you'd have to duplicate the studio again, or for every camera manually hide or show the pins

QuoteWhy not copy an environment to hide a pin and connect camera with copied env as a studio?

Although the 2 or 3 duplicates are basically the same environment but with a couple of pins hidden or shown, after you adjust something, you need to duplicate it every time, link all of them again to a studio, and then delete the old ones.

QuoteI think right now you can do that like those above have said, with studios and multiple environments. Which is probably a more robust way of doing it that straight linking the pins to the camera. I don't know any other rendering app that links lights to cameras, but there might be.

Tried it, it's quicker but still very time consuming to hide or show pins for each camera when submitting renders. Each time a pin is moved or adjusted you need to duplicate the environments and so on

tony_blenderman

Wow, this is a wonderful idea!
Duplicating environments is really a terrible workflow in many instances. Simply makes the files too big and difficult to navigate.  As you rightly pointed out, sometimes, when I change a pin property on one HDRI, I have had to manually change the pins of multiple other HDRIs to keep consistent.

However, I think somehow both workflows should somehow co exist.