RTX 3090 + RTX 3080 // AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x

Started by ivuzem, March 21, 2022, 12:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivuzem

Took advantage of the 3080 price dip, and now I can share the dual GPU results.
I've noticed I'm getting 85ish on the 3090, and I remember before when I first got it, it was around 100. The only thing changed are the drivers. Is that possible?
Not to mention the KS11, very significant performance hit!!! And also, these number vary too much, but usually it is around 130 for the dual GPU.

Anyone have an idea why?

Kuba Grabarczyk

I only thing I can say, I am experiencing the same decrease of performance 10.2 vs 11 for dual GPU setup (RTX 3080Ti and RTX 2070 combined). The change in Keyshot viewer benchmark is from around 100 to around 75. In one of the other threads Niko from Keyshot mentioned they are investigating the reason of such behavior, so far no good news on that field,

ivuzem

Looks like the new v11 update brought the score discrepancies fix.

ddolezal

When GPU-Rendering, I totally agree.
But with CPU we still see a 15% decrease of the performance index in comparison to the 10.1 Viewer.

Keyshot 10.1: CPU-Performance 4.21
Keyshot 11.1: CPU-Performance 3.65

ivuzem

pkanis

Getting a new computer and I currently have an RTX 3090.  Love the GPU render speeds.  Don't why anyone even uses CPU render anymore.  It's night and day and well worth the $$$ upgrade.

The question I have is: now that i'm getting a new computer I would like to increase my GPU rendering speed with dual cards but I thought it wasn't possible based on this thread:
https://forum.keyshot.com/index.php?topic=27270.0

If it is in fact possible what do I need in my new computer to make use dual cards.

Thank you

Kuba Grabarczyk

I have two cards: RTX 2070 and 3080 Ti. There are no specific requirements to use them both. Keyshot just sees you have to cards and combines the computing power (if needed you can choose only one card to be used) There is no nvidia link required or anything else.

pkanis

mattjgerard

Quote from: pkanis on April 09, 2022, 10:47:35 AM
Getting a new computer and I currently have an RTX 3090.  Love the GPU render speeds.  Don't why anyone even uses CPU render anymore.  It's night and day and well worth the $$$ upgrade.

Many reasons
1) CPU rendering is much more stable, give it more cores and it scales flawlessly
2) Not reliant on driver specs. Lots of problems with GPU rendering is based on driver issues
3) Network rendering is much more predictable and stable with CPU rendering
4) Lots of features are still not supported by GPU rendering, although this is getting better and better with each KS release

I've been on both sides, and while GPU will certainly overtake CPU in rendering at some point, for still imagry and animations its still the default workhorse way of rendering. I do think that in the next 3-5 years though GPU rendering will be acceptable enough to make CPU rendering not worth it. If you can base your workflow around GPU and support that, then its awesome. But if you are working in a team, CPU is still the better option for support and capability reasons.