Naturepedic Mattress Commercial

Started by sloanelliot, May 05, 2022, 11:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloanelliot

(EDIT: evidently the Vimeo embed is not functioning, so here's the URL: https://vimeo.com/706640198 -- also, full case study here (Behance): https://www.behance.net/gallery/143131865/Naturepedic-EOS-Series-Product-Animation and Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/dngr.ltd)

Hi all!

Wanted to share another larger-scale project we completed a while ago but were only recently cleared to post-- this one was for Naturepedic (an organic mattress company who approached me for some motion/rendering work). It quickly snowballed into a pretty large-scale project that spanned several months, but was really a blast to work on. Hit some unfortunate snags with Keyshot on this one that forced me to render with only 1 GI bounce and scrap the original architectural interior I built out, but it still turned out pretty nice all things considered. Thought I'd share! The original is actually a full 2min with a voiceover and different music, so this is a more palatable, internal "directors cut" of sorts that sticks to the good stuff haha..

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/706640198[/vimeo]

The CMF for the mattress was pretty involved, and 100% procedural and/or map-based vs. using RealCloth. I'll post a few closeups in a followup reply here as well as some material graph screenshots, etc.

Credits:

Animation, shaders/CMF, environmental design, lighting, post: me (@sloan.elliot)

Soft-body dynamics + holographic overlays: Arman Beshkooh (@arman_pier) -- Simulated in TyFlow/3DSMax, rendered in VRay, composited w/KS original via AE

Modeling (mattress) + zipper simulation: Kirill Chepizhko (@oberfett / @spektralstudio)

Editing: Tyson Kroening

Music: "Be The Best" by Ian Post (via Artlist.io)

sloanelliot

Here are a few stills

sloanelliot

And here are some CMF closeups (with studio/generic lighting to show it in greater detail -- be sure to click the images for full res! they're at 4K)

sloanelliot

And finally, here are some material graphs; one for the top quilt of the mattress w/debossed logo, and the other for the side / decorative encasement :)

christaelrod

Quote from: sloanelliot on May 05, 2022, 11:29:34 AM
(EDIT: evidently the Vimeo embed is not functioning, so here's the URL: https://vimeo.com/706640198 -- also, full case study here (Behance): https://www.behance.net/gallery/143131865/Naturepedic-EOS-Series-Product-Animation and Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/dngr.ltd)

Hi all!

Wanted to share another larger-scale project we completed a while ago but were only recently cleared to post-- this one was for Naturepedic (an organic mattress company who approached me for some motion/rendering work). It quickly snowballed into a pretty large-scale project that spanned several months, but was really a blast to work on. Hit some unfortunate snags with Keyshot on this one that forced me to render with only 1 GI bounce and scrap the original architectural interior I built out, but it still turned out pretty nice all things considered. Thought I'd share! The original is actually a full 2min with a voiceover and different music, so this is a more palatable, internal "directors cut" of sorts that sticks to the good stuff haha..

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/706640198[/vimeo]

The CMF for the mattress was pretty involved, and 100% procedural and/or map-based vs. using RealCloth. I'll post a few closeups in a followup reply here as well as some material graph screenshots, etc.

Credits:

Animation, shaders/CMF, environmental design, lighting, post: me (@sloan.elliot)

Soft-body dynamics + holographic overlays: Arman Beshkooh (@arman_pier) -- Simulated in TyFlow/3DSMax, rendered in VRay, composited w/KS original via AE

Modeling (mattress) + zipper simulation: Kirill Chepizhko (@oberfett / @spektralstudio)

Editing: Tyson Kroening

Music: "Be The Best" by Ian Post (via Artlist.io)

Outstanding animation. I loved the concept and texture quality.

Morgan

Awesome, I like it a lot  :)
just to be sure, the texture change in the Logo "naturpedic cotten" was reached with a displacement?

Kuba Grabarczyk

Sweet god, this is one of the greatest things I have ever seen done in Keyshot. Loved it.

Could you please say a few words about deformable meshes and simulations present there? One of my biggest challenges nowadays is huge size of all imported alembic animations, how did you deal with it?

Btw interior animations are in my opinion nearly impossible to be done in Keyshot, no matter how fast machine you have. I fully understand you got rid of the rest of interior

sloanelliot

Quote from: Morgan on May 06, 2022, 04:43:30 AM
Awesome, I like it a lot  :)
just to be sure, the texture change in the Logo "naturpedic cotten" was reached with a displacement?

That one was bruuuutal to achieve, because there's this overlap of the white cotton and the nested brown/beige threading beneath, that "reveals" the logo-- so yes, there was a displacement that debossed the general logo area (blurred so it had soft boundaries), and then a label for the darker beige underlayment of the actual logo text that used the logo as a mask, but to get it "thread perfect" the actual black and white map of the logo itself had the identical fabric texture along the fringes/boundaries so that the logo looked stitched vs. perfect cutout. The results are pretty convincing! Total fuckery haha but that's kind of what it's all about :)

sloanelliot

Quote from: Kuba Grabarczyk on May 06, 2022, 06:59:57 AM
Sweet god, this is one of the greatest things I have ever seen done in Keyshot. Loved it.

Could you please say a few words about deformable meshes and simulations present there? One of my biggest challenges nowadays is huge size of all imported alembic animations, how did you deal with it?

Btw interior animations are in my opinion nearly impossible to be done in Keyshot, no matter how fast machine you have. I fully understand you got rid of the rest of interior

Thanks, man! really appreciate it, it was sooo much work haha.. Just glad we can share it now. And agreed on interior stuff, if KS were better in that realm it'd be a game changer...it just never quite looks convincing enough to really sell it. On this I used a lot of very specific IES lights as 2" overhead downlights; a mix of warm and cool to really add some color data/depth and rendered as 32bit EXR sequences so we had some control..

Because this was still Keyshot 10, the deformable mesh stuff was all imported via Alembic-- NOW it sounds like we can do vertex deformations via FBX which would have saved us an actual eternity here, but oh well... They were done in 3DSMax using TyFlow and exported as ABC. The zipper was done in Houdini via ABC as well. The trick was, each ABC was so massive that we had to split this entire thing into 20+ Keyshot files for various shots. i.e., if a shot had the zipper sequence in it, that's ALL we could have in it to keep the files from being 100GB+. I had to composite several shots together in cases where we needed both in one shot (like floating sheet + zipper, or latex deformations + sheet, etc.). The whole thing was a complete hack, but it's really the finished result that counts.. Could have been a lot better and we learned a lot of hard lessons on this one, but still happy with the end result!

mattjgerard

Quote from: sloanelliot on May 06, 2022, 09:40:30 AM

The whole thing was a complete hack, but it's really the finished result that counts.. Could have been a lot better and we learned a lot of hard lessons on this one, but still happy with the end result!

I feel this is the story with every difficult job. Pushing the software to its limits, people get creative on workarounds and patches and bandaids to get the final result.

Kuba Grabarczyk

Quote from: sloanelliot on May 06, 2022, 09:40:30 AM
Quote from: Kuba Grabarczyk on May 06, 2022, 06:59:57 AM

Thanks, man! really appreciate it, it was sooo much work haha.. Just glad we can share it now. And agreed on interior stuff, if KS were better in that realm it'd be a game changer...it just never quite looks convincing enough to really sell it. On this I used a lot of very specific IES lights as 2" overhead downlights; a mix of warm and cool to really add some color data/depth and rendered as 32bit EXR sequences so we had some control..

Because this was still Keyshot 10, the deformable mesh stuff was all imported via Alembic-- NOW it sounds like we can do vertex deformations via FBX which would have saved us an actual eternity here, but oh well... They were done in 3DSMax using TyFlow and exported as ABC. The zipper was done in Houdini via ABC as well. The trick was, each ABC was so massive that we had to split this entire thing into 20+ Keyshot files for various shots. i.e., if a shot had the zipper sequence in it, that's ALL we could have in it to keep the files from being 100GB+. I had to composite several shots together in cases where we needed both in one shot (like floating sheet + zipper, or latex deformations + sheet, etc.). The whole thing was a complete hack, but it's really the finished result that counts.. Could have been a lot better and we learned a lot of hard lessons on this one, but still happy with the end result!

Yeah, indeed the results are outstanding. Nice to see I am not the only one splitting Keyshot files into smaller ones. Even 15 seconds of deformable meshes like character animation results with ~10 GBs files and issues with GPU memory limit (having RTX 3080ti and 2070) So we do exactly the same, dividing the project into smaller parts.

Again, congrats and hats off this is really a great job

sloanelliot

Thanks, man! Excited for the next project...seems like the sky is the limit now that we've ironed out some process stuff. :)

Zeltronic

sloanelliot

Will Gibbons

Okay, this is nutty! So good. Can I ask how long this project took from start to finish? Seems like some tricky workflow, but you really pulled it off. And as far as materials go, did you use any scanned textures or were they all created in KeyShot or somewhere else?

Great job!