Main Menu

Scale Scale Scale

Started by m2tts, December 22, 2011, 07:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m2tts

KeyShot 3.0.9 Here I'm going to make my plea/rant yet again for REAL UNITS in KeyShot. Importing multiple objects (in this case from separate SW files) is a pain in the #$$. Funny, when you bring in separate parts into a SW assembly, there is no need to scale what your bringing in to make it fit, it just fits cause the software knows how big it is. This is not rocket science to implement and will make a HUGE improvement to workflow.

Here is an example:

I have a product that uses an iPad. The iPad in the original bip file did not have the screen area properly broken out into a separate color. I have a SW part file of an iPad that does. I go and import it into the bip file and use: From Previous Import. This is what happens (see the enclosed screenshots). This would not happen and make life soooo much easier for all us CAD users. We don't want to guess. We want simple and intuitive. Intuitive for CAD users is dealing in real world numbers. Please give us our mm, cm, m, inches, and feet!

guest84672

We are continuing to look into it.

jhiker

I'll add my vote to this....  :)

Zander85

jjeconomaki

+1

Can I vote for others if I pretend to be from a Communist regime?

+1000

-John

jhiker

To illustrate the point...

Caught me out again today - I think this needs fixing.
I just imported the highlighted assembly (the large one) into an existing scene and it comes in at a much bigger scale. I tried 'coordinates' set to both 'automatic' and 'from previous import' and it made no difference at all.

The valve with the green knob is exactly the same valve in both assemblies - how can it NOT come in at the same scale - I'm baffled.

Speedster

This scale issue is driving me nut also!  I've got a series of similiar SolidWorks parts, and wanted to just import them, but scaling has been a long standing problem in KS3. Some even come in at > 4800!  I finally gave up and created an appropriate SW assembly, and opened it from the plugin.  It won't DnD into an empty bip.  Then you can move individual parts around to suit, but it's a real pain.  If you have KS2 you can just work as usual, save it, and re-open it im KS3.  But you can't backtrack.  I understand scaling and SW imports are very high on the KS fix list.
Bill G

guest84672

Can you guys share examples so we can look into this? Either post here or send them to me - thomas@luxion.com

Speedster

On it's way, Thomas.  Just a random example I just did.
Bill G

m2tts

Ok, I've been trying to create a new example of this and now I can't get it NOT to work. I'm importing all sorts of random SW parts and they're all coming in at the correct scale. This is using the direct importer, not the plug-in. The direct importer has some issues with missing surfaces

When I used the plug-in, then I got things way out of scale. This is the bip I have posted.

guest84672

We are aware of the missing surfaces. It is being worked on.

We will look at the combination of plugin and direct importer.

jhiker

Quote from: Thomas Teger on January 06, 2012, 07:19:16 AM
Can you guys share examples so we can look into this? Either post here or send them to me - thomas@luxion.com

Thanks, Thomas - I've just sent the files to you

PhilippeV8

+1 ... but that's no surprise ... I'm quite sure no one will say +0 on this topic ;)

Robb63

This is driving me crazy too, but I remember this being an issue with KS2 for the first few versions.

I just did a few tests. If I open a bip created in KS2 and import data to it then the scale is out of whack. If I start a new file in KS3 all of my omports are scaled correctly to one another.

So there is a work around, it just is a pain because like a lot of you I have scenes set up in KS2 that I need to re-use for packaging layouts, magazine layouts, etc.. so now I've got to recreate the scene, reflections, and most difficult the camera angles.
I hope that helps some of you to at least plan for this moving forward, unless there is a fix in the works?