Main Menu

KS2 vs. KS3

Started by ukindler, December 23, 2011, 11:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukindler

Hi,

I rendered one of our devices in KS2 and KS3 with the same materials, same environment, almost the same camera position and both with realtime renderer with a final screenshot.

The first picture is the KS2 version and the second one the KS3 version. The KS3 version shows a thin black border on the top and on the right and strange reflections (see picture 3). Because all materials are the same, I would expect the same results. The top material is an anodized grey material and so I would not expect any reflections here. The reflections make the top surface look a kind of wet and in my opinion it does not look real - or am I wrong here?

Is this a bug or is this a feature? If it is a feature, how can I remove the reflections and get the same results like in KS2. And how can I avoid the black border (no backplate used - only plain white background). And should an anodized material show any reflections?

Uwe

guest84672

I am not sure what the black border is all about. As far as the reflection goes I bet you are missing the bump/texture map. You ma need to reapply the material in KeyShot 3.

ukindler

Hi Thomas,

I found the reason for the reflections. It was not the bump map - the material of the top surface is anodized grey and this material does not have any bumpmap.

The reason for the strange reflections is the blue Qmix Label. In the KS2 image the Qmix label is geometry but because KS3 did not properly import the model (bug?!?), the m and i letters where missing in the KS3 model. So I removed the Qmix logo geometry and added a blue Qmix label to the top surface. I configured the label to look "shiny" by raising the IOR value to 1.5 (see attached image 3). And abviously this makes not only the label shiny but the whole surface (attached image 2). If I remove the label (attached image 1) the reflections are gone. And if I remove the label IOR value the refelections also disappear. This also happens in KS2.

That means, as soon as I add a shiny label to a surface I also add a kind of clear varnish to this surface. Is this the intention of the label parameters or is this a bug? Normally I would expect that the IOR parameters affect only the opaque areas of the label and not the whole surface. Or am I wrong here?

Uwe

guest84672

As far as the import goes - that may be a bug. Can you share that piece of geometry with me?

I just looked at a label with png and reflectivity. Looked fine. What version are you running?