KS2 OBJ oddness

Started by youknowwho4eva, December 30, 2011, 06:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youknowwho4eva

I don't usually mess with OBJ's but I'm playing with new software and new techniques and I noticed some oddities in my render. First there are dark lines everywhere which may be the quality of the OBJ, but some of the mapping disappeared during rendering. Here is a screen shot compared to a render. Notice the Blue visor is there on the screen shot, but in the render, it is only part there. Is this something I'm doing wrong? And if there is a way to fix the black lines, I'd like to know that as well.

Chad Holton

I'd say it's just the difference in settings between the real-time render and the offline one. You definitely should bump up the quality when exporting the OBJ.  ;)

youknowwho4eva

The problem was more having a model that my computer could handle unwrapping in Blender :-P. This render was in the fast settings, but I tried with the good settings and turned Ray bounces up, and had the same results with the visor.

guest84672

The ray bounces have nothing to do with it. It is definitely a tessellation issue in the obj file.

youknowwho4eva

For the black lines, the visor, or both?

guest84672

Both - can you share the model?

youknowwho4eva

This zip has the obj and the image. I didn't save the scene as the screenshot got me what I could use. The yellow guy (A keepon) isn't included, just the helmet.

guest84672

This only has the x3d file - not the obj file.

youknowwho4eva

Ok, fixed it, but also found out how to make it break or make it not break. I included the keepon as he's needed to break it. If you import the obj, there are no black lines and it renders fine. If you import the keepon first, then the helmet, you have to scale the helmet up over 1000 times, and there are lines and the visor doesn't render right.

feher

It's a scaling issue for sure. I scaled and combine the models for ya in OBJ format. You should be good to go. The head needs to be done at a higher tes.
Tim