Trouble Color Matching with HDRI Light Studio plugin

Started by Zander85, January 04, 2012, 07:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zander85

Not sure why the colors on my "HDRI Canvas" are so different from what is showing up in the KS "realtime window". I am guessing it has to do with my light settings, but if anyone could enlighten me? (heh see what I did there?)

Speedster

Not exactly sure about this specific issue.  However, I've made it a habit to be sure that all of my environment settings are neutral in KeyShot before creating a Live HDR-LS dome.  Easy to forget if you've been using other HDR's and want to add to it or start over. That is, brightness at 000,  etc.  Especially that the Gamma (in Realtime [KS2] or on Settings [KS3]) is at what I want.  Usually 2.000, but often 1.6 to 1.8 if I want to kick it.  With everything neutral, or default, then whatever you do in HDR-LS is "for real", and of course can be tweaked later in KS.

FYI- HDR-LightStudio dropped Light Studio 3 on New Years Day. Wish it had been the day before for 2011 taxes!  Have not yet purchased the reasonably priced upgrade, but will, as it is an awesome leap forward in lighting.  Check out their website for details.

Bill G

Zander85

Thanks Bill. I will start with making sure my settings are neutral (very nice tip).

Still not sure about HDRI LS 3. I can do most of those "new features" with a couple of extra steps in photoshop. I am still upset that they have no forum up. And I cant help but get a snarky feeling from their support when I email them about issues. And as cool as HDRI LS is it is expensive for what it is and it still in its early stages of development but its still limited because of that. I don't know if version 3.0 warranted its own new release with added costs. But I guess we will see. Kind of hard to get in touch with the community when their forums are still down. (They told me their forum website had been hacked but that was months ago).

Zander85

I think it just has to do with the fact that the file is an HDRI file and certain colors can look quite different after all of the light information has been applied.

Zander85

Actually what would make HDRI Studio really cool would be the ability to paint masks directly onto your model (similar to the quick mask button on your photoshop layers). That way you could paint masks for each light on the model itself so you would have total control over where the light would fall. I think that would be awesome.