Moebius-gear animation

Started by guest84672, January 10, 2012, 06:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest84672

Ok - it was time that I produce something myself just to prove that even I can do an animation in KeyShot 3. Here is what I did:

• Downloaded the model from GrabCAD - http://grabcad.com/library/11-gear-mobius-strip/download?cadid=b967d46cc8de1faa1e1caf1c7324b841 (Josh cleaned this one up)
  • Imported into KeyShot 3.0.96 on the Mac, using the native SolidWorks format
  • Applied blue gloss paint from the material library to the frame
  • Applied scrateched aluminum from the material library to the gears
  • Adjusted the aluminum material: reduced the roughness, reduced the scale and height of the bump texture
  • Changed the lighting to the office environment
  • Added a rotation animation to the one of the gears, and changed it to 720 degrees
  • I copied and pasted this animation as a "linked animation" to every other gear
  • I copied and pasted this animation to the neighboring gear, and adjust the rotation direction to -720 degrees
  • Set up the camera start point that I wanted under the camera tab and saved the camera
  • Opened the scene tab, and selected the camera I just saved as the active camera
  • Added an orbit animation - 360 degrees
  • I added an inclination animation with its highest point half way through the orbit animation.
  • Adjusted the inclination angle until I got the desired the look
  • Copied and pasted the animation and inverted it by making the angle negative.
  • Moved the copied animation to start when the previous animation stopped
  • Added a subtle zoom animation with its maximum zoom value half way through the orbit animation
  • Copied and pasted the animation and inverted it by making the zoom value negative.
  • Threw the part animations and camera animations into separate folders and adjusted them in the timeline until I got the right look and feel
  • Did a couple of single image test renderings using maximum time to determine desired quality
  • Once I determined that, I set the time per frame and let the animation rip

Here is the result - 2min per frame for 200 frames on a new 32core BETA-system from Intel

http://keyshot.com/images/animations/Moebius-gears/Resources/Moebius-gears.mov

Enjoy. KSP file is on GrabCAD as well.

youknowwho4eva

guest84672

Damn forum software - cut my post off. Updated and complete now.

Ed

Nice!  Animation certainly adds a new dimension to models.  I'd hate to get my finger caught in that thing :)

youknowwho4eva

Now we need to get you working on your materials and environment. To start those gears are way too shiny.

feher

Nice, Alot of stuff going on in there. The average viewer see it as a simple animation but that's just not the case.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim