Too much indirect illumination

Started by shamblingcat, January 19, 2012, 01:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamblingcat

Is there any way to turn down the indirect illumination? When rendering white objects the reflected light is blindingly bright and has been a source of constant frustration for some time.

KeyShot

That scene does look unusually bright. Can you share the file with support?
You can always turn off indirect illumination in the settings tab. Also, if you reduce make the colors darker there will be less indirect illumination - you can compensate for the darker colors by brightening the image.

-- Henrik

shamblingcat

I've attached the scene file. It's just the default hdri and default diffuse material.

I have tried lowering the brightness and fixing it later in photoshop but it creates a lot more work and often requires the combination multiple renders when using a mix of white and chrome surfaces (a fairly common combination in our products)

KeyShot

The indirect illumination in the scene is correct given the bright white materials. I have attached a simple render, where I made the diffuse reflectance roughly 25% of full white. I used a constant colored background, and increased the brightness of the environment to have the materials look the same.

shamblingcat

Can you upload the scene that you used? Thanks!

KeyShot

I did not save it, but here is a quick reproduction. You can adjust the overall brightness of the scene by changing the brightness of the environment lighting in the environment tab.