Ortho View - Materials Change to Black

Started by marksangwine, January 27, 2012, 08:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marksangwine

Could anyone advise why when this model is placed in ortho view the material changes to black

If you move it say 0.5 degree rotation the material reappears (Gold 18ct)
The glass valves are black (Ortho view) and clear on perspective

Test renders only. Loads of work still to do on them

Thanks for any advice

Zander85

I am not sure but I am guessing it is because the camera is too close and causing clipping issues, which might be the cause of your material turning black.

Chad Holton

Not sure - Can you send the package file (File>Save Package) to support@luxion.com, so we can take a look?

m2tts

The reason your seeing it turn black is that the perfectly flat Gold Plane is perfectly reflecting the dome color that is right in front of it. It is very hard to light an orthographic view of surfaces that are flat. They become perfect relectors. Notice that even your slightly turned Gold face is all one color, no gradations of reflections. You need to slowly turn your environment to get a transition in your HDRI to reflect on the surface.  Ortho views are by definition an artificial view of the world compressed to 2 dimensions (no perspective). We post process views like this in PhotoShop to provide lighting bling.

marksangwine

Thanks for your comments on the gold surface..

But how does that work for same problem I'm facing with the valves that are circular?

m2tts

The Glass i don't know about. Have you tried upping your raybounces? You may need to cheat and shoot two passes, one as orthographic for the the rectangular case, and another with a really long lens in perspective for the tubes.

marksangwine

Just been advised Keyshot have found this to be a bug

Thanks for your comments