Getting that modo "clay render" look with Keyshot

Started by SchoolStreetDesign, January 28, 2012, 10:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SchoolStreetDesign

I'm primarily a Rhino/T-Splines user, and bought Keyshot this fall, so I'm relatively new to rendering.  I've recently started learning modo, and one thing that I really like is the white "clay render" look that you can get with modo.  For example, I really like the look of the render used in the banner at the top of this page:

http://www.luxology.com/store/19_subdivision_modeling/index.aspx

I'm trying to replicate that look and feel in Keyshot, but what I find is that I often have trouble with white materials getting very washed out.  Anyone have any suggestions for getting this type of look in Keyshot?

-Sky

Speedster

Welcome to KeyShot!  You will love it.  For the "look", just start with a matte or diffuse white, then double-click on it to open the materials editor tabs.  Drop the diffuse down a bit to a light grey, then raise the specular a bit to suit.  I use a medium grey, and sometimes an "Art Center" reddish-brown often for the clay passes, like for my products on TurboSquid.  You can see examples by searching Gould Studios on TurboSquid.

The actual look is highly dependent on the HDR you use, so experiment with them.  Also, for clay passes it often helps to drop the Gamma setting on the Realtime tab to 1.6-1.8 from the default of 2.0, then tweak your brightness (usually down) on the Environment tab only.

All of the above should take maybe 3-5 minutes!  Likely much less.  I also am just starting to play with the Modo trial, and frankly can't even figure out where to start!  I use SolidWorks, so it's quite a transition!

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

SchoolStreetDesign

Bill -

Thanks so much for the reply!  I will definitely give that a shot, and see how it works.  I'm very new to rendering, so it might take a bit longer than the 3-5 minutes you suggest :)

I've been a T-Splines user for about two years now, and so conceptually there is a lot in common between the way you think of a T-Spline model, and the way you think about a modo model.  But past that.....yeah there's a learning curve for sure!  I've been using the Lynda.com training course and finding it's a really excellent introduction. 

-Sky

Despot

Hey There

Im aware that this thread is quite old, but here is are a couple of 'clay' renders I did recently...

Changing the HDRI has a massive visual impact on the result

J

PhilippeV8

Speedster

No such thing as "old clay"!

I agree- clay models are fun, and serve an important purpose in studying shape and form.  A neat trick is to use an HDRI that has a blue source in it.  I use this now for all clay shots I do for my SolidWorks created .obj models on TurboSquid.  The last one, however, is just careful shadow work, but no blue.

Also- nice motor!  What modeling app do you use?

Bill G

guest84672

Awesome stuff - I remember seeing Speedster's images a while back! - I just love the amount of detail!