Can't Copy/Paste Material Between Files

Started by misterrogers, January 30, 2012, 12:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misterrogers

I'm running Keyshot3 on os x 10.6.8.  Every time I try and copy-paste a material between different files, Keyshot crashes. 

I right-click on the material and select "Copy Material", then open the new file, select the part I want to paste the copied material to, and right-click again this time selecting "Paste Material."

Unfortunately each time I do this, Keyshot crashes and when I open it back up, the copied material is no longer saved to my memory.

The reason I am copying/pasting, is because I have not had any luck "saving" a new or customized material.  I save the material by clicking the disk in the Project box, under Material heading, and then Name.  It appears to save and there's even a shader icon visible in said material folder, but when I open a new file, it is GONE.  So among the two problems here, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

All I want to do is to either save a custom material OR readily copy/paste it between files.

Any takers?

Speedster

Try this instead- it's a lot easier.  With your model open, double-click on any material on the model to open up the material tab.  Rename the material (at the top of the tab) to something easy, like "my material".  Then right-click on the chosen material on the model, and a  dialogue box will open.  Select "Add Material to Library", and another little box will open up.  Navigate to an appropriate folder and click save.  It should now appear in that folder with the new name.

Copy/Paste will link the materials together.  You can select (on the model) a material that you have applied, then shift+LMB to copy, and shift+RMB to apply to another surface or many multiple surfaces.  They will be linked, but you can always unlink them.  You can do the same by dropping a material on a part or surface in the Scene Tree, and link or unlink  them there as well.

Clicking on one of the material balls will open that material tab.

Hope this helps...
Bill G

guest84672

Make sure that you have permission to save the materials. The content is located under ~/Library/Application Support/KeyShot 3. We will look into the copy/paste issue.

misterrogers

SUCCESS! Finally able to save materials using Speedster's technique - not before remedying the permission issue Mr. Teger pointed out.  This had been driving me absolute bonkers for a few weeks.  Thanks, both of you!