Design for fun: Coffee cup

Started by Esben Oxholm, February 25, 2012, 02:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Hi guys.
I did this coffee cup design that I want a great render of, but I've got some problems. The ceramic material is blown out. I've tried to fix it by adjusting the gamma and brightness sliders, but I can't get a nice result. Any help would be great! :)

Furthermore, ideas on angles, setup of the cup, props and other stuff is appreciated.

Best regards
Esben

EGON

Esben Oxholm

youknowwho4eva

I used soft touch white for a ceramic piece I was designing, I think it has the look I was going for. You should get this 3D printed! I really like it.

Josh3D

That's a cool design idea for sure! Could use a little more time on the rendering as it's a bit grainy, but the color and composition is great. Oh, a side note, would be a cool 3D print, but not good for drinking. 3D print ABS isn't really food grade :)

youknowwho4eva

Esben Oxholm

I'm glad you like the idea. A 3d print could be really cool. Didn't know it was possible to 3d print ceramics. That's awesome!

I tried to do the scene from scratch, and added some real coffee and steam post.
It's still too bright though... and using soft white as material wasn't better.

fario

wow, the coffee material is perfect, bravo!

Antoine

fario

Hello,

Perhaps you could visit my post "J12" in the "materials" section, to give more realism to your porcelain?  :-\

Antoine

fario

just a example.

Esben Oxholm

Thanks. Antoine. You post helped me alot. The material is the same as the J12.
I think it looks much better now, but it's a bit too dark...
If I raise the brightness the material begins to burn out.

@Antoine: Do you have some advice on the gamma and brightness settings? Maybe a specific setting I could try?

guest84672

Increase your gamma to 2.0 (default) and it will look much better.

Esben Oxholm

Thanks Thomas. Now it begins to look great.

What do you think? :)

PhilippeV8

I knew it ... the J12 stuff was going to help this render.  Good thinking !
It's some awesome improvement and inspiring to see how you can have a result, some people would settle with, but with a little more effort can get totaly realistic.

Plus, notice how with this material the point of the design becomes clear ... in all previous renders, one could not see for sure that this is 1 cup, not 3 on a pile with coffee in the top one.  (which was what I thought it was initially ... then after a while i figured it could be 1 cup ... now you can clearly see it)

guest84672