Dragonfly - First Initial Run

Started by CAClark, March 15, 2012, 09:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAClark

Ok, so when bringing this in to Keyshot, many materials don't remain separate as needed, so I have to go back and re-organise things in Lightwave before exporting, but I figured I'd make a first run at rendering this. I'll update with a new export and import of the model soon.

Josh3D

Very cool looking. I like it, especially all the little details.

m2tts

guest84672

You know that you can import "by group" or "by material" when using obj?

CAClark

Hey Thomas, for this I'm actually using FBX owing to the complexity of the Lightwave scene the model is in. Are those options available for FBX as well? I'm not at my workstation at the moment.

Cheers!

guest84672

There is an option called "Keep individual parts" - see whether this helps.

CAClark

If I export and import OBJ files, then the materials maintain their proper identities, and I can assign them shaders in KS just how I want. But FBX seems to take each model layer in Lightwave and makes it one material in KS. I don't know if that's something that occurs at export of the FBX, or the import in KS. Or maybe it's just not what FBX is designed to handle even.

Cheers!

carcoma69

Fantastic job, man!!
Really I have the same issue with the colours in KS with my models in SolidWorks. I'm working in that and I hope to  can help at community about this matter soon.
Regards.

CAClark

Well I have abandoned FBX for the moment, and loaded the scene into Deep Exploration and saved the whole scene out as an OBJ. I still can't seem to avoid having to unlink lots of materials as I go in Keyshot, but I'm OK with that really, I can do what I want.

Here is the latest render.

Cheers!

PhilippeV8

:o ???

awesome ... !!  I'm impressed !

feher

Love it ! Very fun image.
Great work.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

fario

Josh3D

Dang, so rockin' CA. I loved the blue in the first on, but this looks... so much more intimidating :)

Speedster

Fantastic!  I've gotten in the habit of simply unlinking all the materials in the Scene Tree before I even start assigning materials.  It's so easy to link them up as you go, and it saves a lot of hassle.  Not sure yet about the "linking by name" in the native CAD app.
Bill G

CAClark

I have to email the guys about importing and materials etc today, but in the meantime, I thought I'd post this final image with different closeups of parts included, hope you like it.

Cheers!