Need to revert back to a previous update urgently

Started by Caitcuta, March 27, 2012, 04:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitcuta

Hi, I've just updated to 3.1 (I was previously using 3.0.99) and have had issues with my solidworks models ever since. I'm trying to render an assmelby file which worked fine on 3.0.99 but since I've updated I'm getting some real annoying issues. If I change the colour of one part it applies that colour to a totally different part as well.

The model has not been changed and worked fine yesterday on the old update. I've tried using the solidworks plugin but it's the same.

Does anyone know a fix, even if it's a quick one as I need to get some images by the end of today ideally!

Thanks

Speedster

Me too!  I'm in a panic now also, facing a major client Phase Review meeting next Monday, with many renderings needed.

I just downloaded 3.1.48, and it's the worst one yet.  Mapped surfaces not importing, unlelated parts are linked and cannot be unlinked, mapped surfaces ditto, and that's just the start.  If you apply and position a decal, the try to change the intensity, it disappears and you have to reapply it.  The default of Normal Prohection does not work and you have to use Box.  And forget putting a decal on a cylinder.  I had to take the decal into Photoshop and adjust the master image, then reapply it.

Now, this would likely not work for you unless you have or can quickly get SimLab Composer or Animator.  www.simlab-soft.com   Basic may work just as well.  I took my SolidWorks model into SimLab Animator and generated an OBJ, which imported just fine, but without the SW tree structure.  SimLab is bulletproof, and of course KS imports everything as an internal OBJ.

Frankly, I'd like to go back to 3.0, as it at least almost worked.  Guys, you really have to get this SolidWorks importer fixed!  This is getting very stale.  It seems there are more bugs with every release.  Cool it on the bells-and-whistles and get the core working and bulletproof, as it was with KS2.  FYI- KS2 is trashed now as well, as it seems to have picked up stuff from KS3 or something. 

Oh ya- KS3 crashes SolidWorks if I use the plugin.

Bill G

guest84672

We have not changed anything as far as the importer goes. The behavior should have not changed. We know that parts are linked by material, but you can always unlink them by right clicking on them in the realtime window or in the scene tree. We will address this in the next update.

@Speedster: We know about the label issues. That will be fixed. Can you please provide a model where you can't unlink the parts?

KeyShot 2 should still work since it operates completely independent from KeyShot 3.

And as far as the plugin goes - does this happen with every model? I am using the plugin with SW 2012 extensively and have yet to see SW crash. What SP of SW are you running?

Speedster

Hi Thomas;

I'm using SW2011 SP3.0, as my client has not upgraded to SW12 yet. 

Problem only occurs with assemblies.  Individual parts, like a dial plate that has raised marker indicators (that are mapped in a different color in SW), import as the "base" color, without the mapping.  I have had to go back into the assembly and model/mate a separate "indicator" part to get it to work.  This is across the board.  Mapped surfaces or features simply don't work.  All attempts at unlinking the suspect material(s) fail.

Intensity adjustments to a decal deletes the decal.  These are jpeg's, and I'm going to try png's.  If that does not work then I will adjust the intensity in Photoshop.

KS2 also now imports (plugin) as I describe in the first paragraph.  Otherwise, KS2 is OK.

I can't send this assembly due to an NDA, but when I have time next week (!) I'll try to send you something else.  All assemblies behave this way so far under 3.1.48.

Bill G

guest84672

Yes please send me an example. I will run some tests here as well.

We know about the decal issues. They will be fixed shortly.

Speedster

I've been working with Thomas on the SolidWorks importer issues, and it appears the KS team has resolved them.  The new SW pugin 1.2 is working just fine, and is available for download on the KeyShot website under Downloads.
bill G

guest84672

Thanks, Speedster. There is a new update coming shortly to iron out one of the kinks that we found with the color assignment on the body/feature level.

cubicart

Thomas,

Is there still a new update scheduled for release soon (KS3 or SolidWorks plugin)? Working with the 1.3 plugin is a bit frustrating, having to unlink bodies/features/parts that have already been mapped differently in the CAD program. If you've taken the time to properly prepare your CAD models, it seems like a waste of time to have to do it again in KS.

I have experimented with going back to the 1.0 plugin for SW (KS3), and the different material mappings seem to be properly maintained for a single part. However, if that part is included as part of an assembly, then the different material assignments are lost when exporting to KS3.

Are changes coming ... ?

guest84672

This actually has nothing to do with the plugin, but rather with the way we are naming materials now. The change had to be done in order to have it work efficiently with the newly introduced material templates. We will look into a way of breaking it up more intelligently.