After update to 3.1.48, KS just hangs and crashes

Started by erlandsen, March 30, 2012, 09:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erlandsen

After updating to 3.1.48, KeyShot has become absolutely unusable for me. If I open a blank window, import an object and apply a material to it, after a few minutes the realtime render view will freeze - not rendering and not accepting view changes.

This will happen every time I import an object into a new scene or open an old document.

Usually this is triggered by applying an environment, saving a material to the library, apply a material, changing a texture map – or basically any change to the scene.

It can also happen during saving. After the save progress bar has been shown not once but two times – KeyShot will hang at the very last bit.

I tried importing a simple cube to check if my (moderately complex) model was causing this, but no – even a simple cube is too much for KeyShot 3.1.48 to handle now apparently.

FYI: I run the latest version of OSX on a MBP with 8Gb of ram. I model in Rhino 4 on Win XP through Parallels.

I know for sure realtime rendering actually halts, as my fans slow down and stop when this happens. They always run at full speed when KeyShot is open.

I have tried running the installer again, downloading the updated again, deleting KeyShot 3 and all pref. files and reinstalling with the update from your forum. All to no avail.

I really really need someones help. I have deadlines to meet next week.

KeyShot

This sounds unusual. I recommend you contact our support.

guest84672

I am running on the same machine, and do not see this behavior. I suggest you delete the application, and run the installer again. Please make sure you run the full installer.

erlandsen

I have deleted the application and preference files and reinstalled twice - both times with freshly downloaded full installers from the forum. I don't see any change.

erlandsen

I'm not sure, but this could be related to the KeyShot3 folder in Application Support? As it seems to be related to accessing environment maps, materials and texture files? I have set the folder and underlying objects to read & write, with no change.

guest84672

Yes - you will need to make sure that you have full write permission to all folders. On the other hand, that shouldn't matter as far as stability is concerned.

erlandsen

Alright, so I have traced this to copying environment maps and materials into the KeyShot3 folder immediately after reinstalling the application. Apparently this caused KeyShot to lock. Even after specifying read and write rights to these copied-in folders and files. (These are environments from keyshot.com by the way.) Now I have KeyShot up and running fine, though this time I did not copy in these maps.