Main Menu

Newbie Renders

Started by Mark_84, April 23, 2012, 03:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_84

Hi guys,

It's been nearly 3 months since I started to read and follow this awesome forum.

I would like to share some of my minour works with you, and above all, receive as much comments (and critics too) as possible in order to improve my work and fluency with KS. I'm still struggling with some adjustments and options, but I must admit that KS is far above my initial expectations.

Here they are  :)

Josh3D

Hi Mark! Welcome! Looking good there.

First image: The colors are looking great on that first one. It may be the composition that needs some work, perhaps putting it in context of where it's used or on a lighter background of to one side a bit as if it were laying on a table.

Second image: the HDR is an exterior HDR. You may want to switch that out and use a higher resolution backplate. That one is complete blurry while the model is very crisp, sharp edges.

Third image: great composition. You may try a lighter background and try the DoF to give it a little more interest and focus on the one to the right.

Fourth image: looks great! good job on the textures. great lighting. There's a slight graininess in the right item, just nee to increase the rendering time a little there. and the right one is also tilted off the surface a little.

Hope this helps!

guest84672

To add to josh3D's comments - in the first image, the object is intersecting the ground plane. Make sure You use "snap to ground" when importing or moving the object.

Mark_84

Hey guys!

Thanks for your comments! I definitely need to work harder on KS  ;)

I will try to 'redo' some of the above renders following your guidelines and see how they improve. I'm pretty sure they will.

Thanks again guys,

Mark_84

Quote from: Thomas Teger on April 24, 2012, 09:22:32 AM
To add to josh3D's comments - in the first image, the object is intersecting the ground plane. Make sure You use "snap to ground" when importing or moving the object.

Although I always use this feature, from my point of view, the model seems to be floating, thus I always end up moving it manually along the Y axis to place it as close as possible to the ground. Always taking care not to place it very low, trying to avoid the creation of 'triangles' between the model and the surface (I know I can increase the ray bounces amount, shadow quality or 'grid size')

For me it doesn't make sense to stick the model to the ground, they always seem to be 'flying'..I don't know if it's an environment(HDR) issue or a wrong configuration of my axes in CATIA.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance :)

Mark_84

What about this one?  ???

PhilippeV8

It could use a tiny round edge on the chamfered edges of the big gray part.  Then after that, reduce the size of the bumpmap on the same part by 50% ... that's what I'd do.
Other parts look good to me.

guest84672

Yup - agree with PhilippeV8 - great image otherwise.

Mark_84

Well this is my last tryout, I'm moving to other sorts of projects. I'm learning a lot with you guys.

guest84672

Very nice - you are getting quite good at it ...

Mark_84

Thanks Thomas!

The key issue for me is getting a clean and crisp environment, otherwise the whole render gets dull and it's very difficult to get a crsytal clear and reality-alike result.

Thanks for your time and comments.

I'll be back soon ;)

PhilippeV8

yes yes yes ... that's looking good  8)

Just a question, ... adding more samples to that last render, does it help to get ridd of the black side of the glass panel ?

Mark_84

I haven't tried that by the way, to be honest, I don't even know what do samples do? I always stick to 10-12 samples in order to get a good time-performance ratio :)

What do samples do then? Sometimes I've tried to render some little geometries with samples above 30 and the computer just crashed ;)

Thank you guys

Mark_84

Hey Philippe!

I know what happened! The material itself has the two-sided option activated (Glass), if I uncheck it it becomes blur and completely 'undefined' around the glass cover edges.

Any ideas? I'm rendering it at higher samples though.

guest84672

Higher samples may not be necessary - try higher ray bounces first. Adjust them in realtime to see what you get.