Main Menu

Layered Rendering/Passes

Started by harshcg, May 24, 2010, 07:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harshcg

Different rendering passes is quite essential for composting purposes.
Is this something that's already there in current version? I have been wanting to render flat color, shadow pass, reflection pass separately for a car render I'm doing.
Any words?

Speedster

We often do multiple rendering passes, but it does require that you paint the model for each pass, like flat (clown), chrome and clay.  I usually do my hero shot first.  Be sure to "lock camera", and ideally save the camera setup.  Then, remove the backplate (if used), and uncheck the ground shadows on the environment tab.  Then simply paint to suit for each pass.  For the clown pass, make sure that no two adjacent surfaces that you want to separate are painted in the same color. Note: if you do accidentally create adjoining surfaces, you can simply erase a small line between them in Photoshop to separate them out for selection.  I can usually paint even complex models with just six colors.  The clown pass will render out in seconds.

When all the passes are completed, use Ctrl + z to "back out" of each color, until you are back where you started.  Or, simply close WITHOUT saving.

It would be neat to automate this process, but I'm sure it would be quite a code challenge!

Bill G

harshcg

Any word on Render passes in KS2? This seems to be most necessary part of the project I am planning to do. I can't believe no one else seem to be raising this s an important issue?

Cheers.

jbeau

I would like to add DOF/Zbuffer pass to the list.

Normal pass for relight works in post but its a little wacky. I would like to see different normal shader space options like, camera, world, object or tangent. Camera space would work best. UV pass doesn't work as expected in post, but I need to test it further.