Sharing/selling materials and making use of a material ball.

Started by EdwinKlijn, May 25, 2010, 12:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Holton

I like the new addition on the base and the logo looks great on the sphere. I was going to suggest maybe a hex cutout, to show more flat surface, instead of a circle around the logo - but that wouldn't look right now.

Ed

Using MoI you can create a few small bubbles inside the large sphere.  Shows nicely with clear materials.

Ed

JTrusty

I am hoping to have the geometry and both scenes completed by next week. This way I can put together a distributable package for everyone to download.

Here are two samples from the two proposed scenes:

White scene with plenty of ambient light:

Dark scene with more dramatic lighting:

Its easy to create a material with little regard for how it will look in alternate environments. That's usually the case for me. I work a scene to death. Come back later and find that my material looks completely off in a different environment. Since the goal of this project is to help people create distributable materials, a  focus should be put on making sure those materials render correctly in most ( if not all ) environments. Providing two scenes should help achieve that goal.

Although the previous and more pronounced grid plane was nice, I found that it was competing ( visually ) with the material for dominance in the scene. Since we don't have a true "scale" system in KeyShot at this point, it only made sense to diminish the strength of the grid. Now it serves merely as a cue that the ground does in fact exist and provides a bit of depth to the scene.  :)

I should also have a set of wood materials completely next week as well. They are coming along very nicely.

EdwinKlijn

Looking great there JTrusty. Looking forward to your textures!!!

I have one more go at it. Still not happy with the results (not even using a grid yet) but it's gettin' there (eventually). Silly 'project'. I should really focus on my real work  :D

Anyway,here are some new shots.
I created a 'KeyShot SubSurface-bar' inside the ball to get a quick scattering impression.

Have a nice evening

guest84672

I like how the color bleeds onto the surface. I think the subsurface can be smaller.

Looking great.

Richman

I like JTrusty's sphere with the smaller logo (showing more material) and EdwinKlijn base.  You guys should combined them.

DBKeyshot

What a great thread...
@JTrusty: I like the fact that your base has some flat areas. Too often with these material balls from other programs I find the ball has no flat spot where I can examine the material. Also, I like the grid ground plane, but I think you should keep it white - especially for some of these materials that bounce light off onto the ground.

chippwalters

I might suggest you use an actual room model with some emissive lights as Maxwell and others do. It makes for very real renders.