Main Menu

Pepper Mill

Started by abedsabeh, June 15, 2012, 10:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abedsabeh

Modeled in Maya with custom material and texture.
I hope a layered shader material will be added soon into KeyShot.

Josh3D

Looks just like the ones in my kitchen ;)

I've been using the different maps for some layering effects. How many layers are you working with?

Josh

Speedster

Nice! 

Can you explain what you mean by a "layered shader material" and how it would be used?

Thanks!
Bill G

abedsabeh

Quote from: josh3d on June 15, 2012, 11:24:56 AM
Looks just like the ones in my kitchen ;)

I've been using the different maps for some layering effects. How many layers are you working with?

Josh

Hi Josh,

I had the same few years ago :-)

I only used a color, bump and label maps.....not much in it.

abedsabeh

Quote from: Speedster on June 15, 2012, 11:48:47 AM
Nice! 

Can you explain what you mean by a "layered shader material" and how it would be used?

Thanks!
Bill G

Hi Bill,

I meant by that " 1 material that has different types of materials in it, i.e. Glass, Plastic, metal, etc." So, one single object with more than one material, using the mask to separate them. I attached an example that shows exactly what I mean. The is a single object with different metal material in it.

Abed

Speedster

Thanks, Abed!  That would be a powerful tool in KeyShot.  I've got a lot to learn about CG!  But hey, I guess we all do-
Bill G

Josh3D

There are a couple ways to approach multiple materials in KeyShot.

In the 3D modeling program

1) you can apply different colors to the faces/surfaces. Those will import into KeyShot as separate 'materials'.
2) You can create offset surfaces with minimal distance. Each surface acts as a layer when imported into KeyShot that different materials can be applied to.

Hope this helps!

guest84672

You certainly don't want to create offset surfaces with 0 distance. This may result in some weird effects known as z-fighting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

abedsabeh

Quote from: josh3d on June 18, 2012, 08:05:10 AM
There are a couple ways to approach multiple materials in KeyShot.

In the 3D modeling program

1) you can apply different colors to the faces/surfaces. Those will import into KeyShot as separate 'materials'.
2) You can create offset surfaces with minimal distance. Each surface acts as a layer when imported into KeyShot that different materials can be applied to.

Hope this helps!

Yes Josh, you are absolutely right, but it is not reliable for complicated situations, and you will end up modeling the shapes for different layers rather than creating them as a texture map.
Well, I know it is not easy for the "layered shader" to be added into KeyShot material library, but I hope it will be added into your future plans.

Thanks for your help.
Abed