Main Menu

Sports Car

Started by CAClark, June 16, 2012, 08:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAClark

I was toying with the metallic paint shader, and liked the results, so thought I'd post them up. Not a subtle paint job, but pretty lol

Cheers!

tsunami

I like more the first one shot,..real nice metallic paint effect...;-)..and lovable wheels ...
Could you share (if u want) your light setup? could be usefull for a lot of keyshot users.
regards

CAClark

Its actually just the HDR that comes with Keyshot with the overhead panel array :-)

Cheers!

guest2984

Hi. In order to test mettalic flakes, you should make outdoor shots with natural sun light in it.
Imo a normal studio enviroment setup without spots like yours, kills your render.

Josh3D

Looking good CAD. That first one is sharp looking. How much post work are you doing? I think I can see what you're having to do, but would be cool to see a before and after.

CAClark

Quote from: 0utsider on June 27, 2012, 12:17:26 AM
Hi. In order to test mettalic flakes, you should make outdoor shots with natural sun light in it.
Imo a normal studio enviroment setup without spots like yours, kills your render.

To be fair, that depends entirely on whether you want an indoor or outdoor shot. The thing that kills the render for me is that there is too much light under the car (I don't think it's blocked in underneath). The overhead panel array HDR in this case doesn't give you a hot spot got flakes to react to, but in this case the main paint colour was something I had tried in KS2, and came across it while checking through my older scenes. I'll get around to doing outdoor set renders at some point though maybe, most likely not with this model though.

Josh, I have attached the render straight from Keyshot, but I'm not sure what you mean by what I am 'having to do'?

Cheers!

Josh3D

ahh, ok. cool to see. I was just referring to the adjustments you are making. The look is growing on me :) really liking the style man!

feher

Remember the only time you will really see flake is when you are close up on the body. The lighting would have to be very high contrast to see a hint of flake at these angle. IMHO
Tim

guest2984

I agree with feher.
Please have a look at the last shot in my post (here's the link to the post http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,4088.0.html) to understand what i meant.

CAClark

I get what you are saying. The overhead array HDR I used here is very subtle in highlight terms, so the flakes barely show up (In fact I think it's mostly the post render added noise that shows up), and that's just fine. The link you give shows much the same. All but the last render the flakes don't really show up, except for the last render where the flakes are far too exaggerated for the distance between the viewer and the car. That is more down to shader settings though. If you tweak the flake settings it'd look cool.

So yes, I know what you are saying, but don't see that the flakes not being in your face means you've killed the render :)

Cheers!

Dylan

The slight change you did in the last shot that altered the colour a bit, makes it look even better CAClark.

feher

CAClark,
My comments were just about getting flake in the paint. The images look clean and professional as always.
Tim

CAClark

Indeed Tim, that's how I read them :) I have to confess that with the flakes, more often than not I'll set it all up and be happy, and then next time I come back to it I'll not like it and change the settings again.. it's like my subtlety threshold keeps moving LOL

Cheers!