rotating part not on x y or z axis

Started by gcrawley, July 12, 2012, 05:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcrawley

I am trying to rotate a gear 360 degrees and I have a reference axle for the gear to rotate around. However the axle is positioned at an angle and not on axis X, Y or Z.

It seems that the gear only wants to rotate relative to X, Y, or Z and will not rotate around the axle.

are there any fixes for this?

guest84672

Did you try and pick the axle as a helper object to be used as the center of rotation?

gcrawley

Yes, i picked the axle as a helper object, but the gear does not rotate concentric to the axle.

The axle and gear are positioned at angle of about 30 degrees, however a rotation axis must still be selected X,Y or Z

guest84672

Pick "local" instead of "global" when selecting the helper object.

gcrawley

'local' did not fix

I've attached the file

guest84672

I can see that the pivot point of the axle is not in the center. Can you send me the original CAD file so we can take a look?

Thanks!

gcrawley

iges file attached,
let me know if you need any other file type

guest84672

Can you post the original CATIA assembly, or send it straight to me (thomas@luxion.com)?

Thanks!

sdesaulles

Hi, was there a solution to this?  The topic seems to end with a file being sent, and a similar topic has no answer either.

I have a very similar problem (having looked at your file), I want to rotate a sub assembly around a tilted axis, I have created an axle part to be the 'helper', but it seems that regardless what I pick re
Axis orientation: "Original local" or "Global" it still wants to just rotate about the X,Y or Z axis that pass through the middle of the 'helper'.

I had thought that by inclining the 'helper' to a different angle, the 'helper object's axis' would also tip, but it remains resolutely horizontal.

Is there a way to tilt the rotation axis?  it seems like a fairly basic thing to want to do.  The only way I can think of achieving this at the moment is to tilt the whole model around until the tilted axis I want to use becomes horizontal and try to render it so I can't see any (now not horizontal) horizon in the environment.

Thanks for any steers on this.

Stephen

guest84672

It will always pass through the middle of the helper object. So you need to tilt the helper object. We made some improvements in KeyShot 4 with regards to this.

Thanks for the reminder, I will need to take a look at the model above to see whether this is solved.

guest84672

I looked at it again. I wonder if this has to do with the IGES import itself in this case. It doesn't seem to have any local coordinates per part.

sdesaulles

Hi Thomas,

Yes, I understand it will always pass through the middle of the helper object.  And yes, I did tilt the helper object, it then shows a tilted axis, I select it as the helper for the rotation but the rotation still occurs stubbornly around, yes the centre of the helper, but ignoring its tilted axis.

How does the IGES import effect the outcome?  I imported / opened the helper (axle in this case) as a separate  ProE / Creo .prt file and then scaled and tilted it to match the inclined axle in the original assembly.  To zero result as far as I could see.

It seems like a function that many animations would require - for example the wheels of a car spinning when the steering is turned requires a shifted rotation axis for the front wheels relative to the rear ones. 

I have to admit this is only the second time I've really tried to use animation, but I seemed to fall at the first hurdle - last time it was only linear stuff aligned with the 3 major axes so I didn't encounter the limitation.

Should this be possible in 3 and I'm just doing something wrong or do I need to wait for 4?

Thanks

Stephen

PhilippeV8

I need to rotate a door .. how should I do this ?  What is a helper object ?  Is that something only available in animation ?

Would be handy if we could either move the pivot point around without moving the part "enable/disable"-kinda-style ..
Else like "add ground plane" .. "add rotation axis".
Further more "align axis" option to snap it to e.g. centerline of a cilinder etc.

OK

Hello,
has this been fixed yet? Or is there a proper way of having a rotation along the axis of the helper object that I'm not seeing?
I kan kind of do it if I just enter the rotation as a function of the xyz axis, but that really is an ugly way and shouldn't be necissary seeing as Keyshot clearly knows the coordinate information of the helper object (as evident from moving using the local axis).

Shutterspeed

I am having the same issues!  I am animating SolidWorks 2015 assemblies.  What you need is not a part to locate around but a feature like the face of a diameter.  Picking a separate axis on another part moves the rotation point but that does not have anything to do with the part being rotated.