Main Menu

Keyshot 2 Rants

Started by JTrusty, June 08, 2010, 01:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTrusty

Let me preface this by saying I am appreciative of all the effort you guys have put in to bring the software up to v2. That said the following things have hugely distracted from my v1.9x workflow:

1. Remove all geometry - Why in the world was this feature removed? Now I have to remove each individual component one piece at a time to clear a scene before importing a second piece of geometry.

2. The move widget - Sucks to put it nicely. I have zero control over placing geometry. If I need to rotate a part 90 degrees ( so that its parallel with the ground plane ), there is no precise way to control this. Why did you remove the numeric input field for move and scale?

3. 3ds importer is borked to say the least. I have several 3ds files, now of which will import. Thankfully my install of 1.9.54 is still working which can import all my 3ds files without issue.

These are just a few of the immediate issues I noticed after 5 minutes of playing with v2. I am sure I will find more and I will report them in this thread to keep them all in one location.

Ed

Jason -

To see numeric input fields for position, rotation and scale, click the Option icon at the bottom of the screen.

Ed
(Just upgraded to V2)

quigley

I've been fortunate enough to have been playing with this for longer so I'll try to help out....

1. You can - click the options button>scene tab>to display the parts in the current file. Select the parts, right click delete (and other options)

2. Move widget is great! You do have all the same controls before and much more besides. Again, hit the options button, scene tab, and at the bottom you have numeric controls for move, scale, rotate. Select the parts you want it to apply to and adjust accordingly.

3. I'm running this on a Mac at the moment, so can't really say for sure about this. .obj imports fine on the Mac. What app are you generating the .3ds in?

JTrusty

Thanks guys.

Clearly I missed the relocation of the move / scale input fields. Glad to see they are still available. Also, I missed that you can shift select multiple parts in the parts display. Select all / delete works just fine ( although I really miss the remove all geometry way of doing it prior ).

As for the 3ds, they are Solidworks files that have been exported as .stl. Imported into Meshlab. Exported as .objs. Imported in 3d Studio ( for mapping ) than saved out as native .3ds file. They import fine in Keyshot 1.9.45x and up. Fail miserably in 2.0.30.

There are already multiple other import failures being reported in 2.0 from others in various formats. Something is clearly wrong with the new import methods.

KeyShot

The 3ds importer is the same in 1.9.54 and 2.0, so you should not see a difference? Is this with keep separate parts checked? If you can send a 3ds file that fails (and works in 1.9.54) to support@luxion.com then we will
take a look at it. We can certainly add the 'Remove all geometry' again. It will probably go into the menu as
before. Thanks!

JTrusty

QuoteThe 3ds importer is the same in 1.9.54 and 2.0, so you should not see a difference?

You would think that would be the case then. However, I can assure you that I can not import "any" 3ds files I have in v2.0. These sames files import just fine in 1.9.54.

QuoteIs this with keep separate parts checked?

Doesn't seem to make a difference. With or without it fails to import. The exact error is "the imported geometry could not be interpreted".

QuoteIf you can send a 3ds file that fails (and works in 1.9.54) to support@luxion.com then we will
take a look at it.

File inbound.  :)

QuoteWe can certainly add the 'Remove all geometry' again. It will probably go into the menu as
before.

I would be extremely grateful.

guest84672

We found that we were missing some missing libraries in the installer. If you download again, and install, you will get all the pieces needed! The importers will work like before.

Thomas

guest84672

1. Remove all geometry - Why in the world was this feature removed? Now I have to remove each individual component one piece at a time to clear a scene before importing a second piece of geometry.

In the scene tab CTRL + A to select all parts, then right click on the selection set and select "Delete Part". Gone.

Thomas

JTrusty

QuoteIn the scene tab CTRL + A to select all parts

Thanks Thomas. Much quicker way to select and delete all. Though I would still like a one button solution like we had before for clearing all geometry.  ;)

KeyShot

Remove all geometry will return in the next update.

-- Henrik

JTrusty

Finally got 3ds import working. Apparently, even though I was installing an updated version, the files on my local install were not getting overwritten. By physically deleting everything in my bin directory ( minus my .lic file ) and reinstalling, I am able to import 3ds files again.

That said, I have another rant to add...  ;)

4. Window Positions - They currently do not remember previous size or location. What I would like to see is the ability to store the size and location of all windows ( scene, materials, etc... ) within each .bip file. I use different size realtime windows based on the model / scene I am working on. Positioning of the windows depends on this realtime windows size and location. I kid you not, I spend several minutes arranging my windows each and every time I open a file before I start working. Its extremely annoying.

vanka

KeyShot2 crashes when I do the following:

load keyshot
open materials
open recent model (after this materials window disappears)
then after I press "M" to open materials window keyshot2 crashes

And if I import model - no crash happens.

guest84672

Confirmed. Will be fixed in the next update!

Thomas