Is it possible to fade a material to invisible?

Started by rfollett, August 04, 2012, 04:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfollett

Within an animation is it possible to fade a material from visible to invisible?

rfollett

PhilippeV8

I think this is on the list of things to add to KS in the future ..

guest84672

mkeymont

Hi,
The way I do this is to composite 2 separate renders in After Effects. The first render has the  component in question visible and in the second render, it is hidden. In After Effects (or any decent video editing app...) you simply crossfade from one to the other. The neat thing about this is that you can also simply lower the opacity of the "visible" clip to make it look semi-visible.

I hope this helps!
- Mike

PhilippeV8

The smart thing about this is that you need only 2 renders to get a (say) 1 second sequence.

On the other hand it's editing and post work, which I'd like to have KS do on its own.

Maybe KS could be made such that if nothing else moves, it does make 30 frames from the 2, without rendering out all the 28 frames in between ?

rfollett

Thanks Mike
That is exactly how we got round the issue. 2 animation renders mixed in After Effects
Rich

jeffw

Assuming you have or can afford After Effects ($700)

mkeymont

I know - I'm lucky to have CS6, but I'm also a big fan of free and there are definitely ways to do the same thing on the cheap. There are open source programs out there that you could use to do simple compositing (Jahshaka, Wax...). I agree however that it would be nice to be able to animate the transparency right in KS3. Doubling the render time and having to deal with post production in order to be able to fade parts out is silly when it is such a commonly needed function.
- Mike