Keyshot just stops rendering, no error message

Started by Robert V., August 13, 2012, 01:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert V.

Hi,

I have created a glass scene with ice cubes. I created a special material for the ice and I suspect that's why keyshot just simply stops rendering.

Here the link to the scene:
http://www.mediafire.com/?j1c71tx4dr2agid

Keyshot renders the pixelated picture, and then when it starts making the actual render it quits after a few minutes/seconds. I can remember that I had the same problem a few years ago with another material (a metal one; http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,631.msg2401.html#msg2401 ).

I would really like to get this to render as it is for a tutorial.

guest84672

I took a look at the scene, and noticed that your settings are very high. With these settings, the scene will take forever to render. That's why you don't see any progress. Reduce shadow quality, as well as the GI setting (1) and AA (2 at the most). It will still not render quickly, but much faster than before.

Robert V.

Hi thomas,

It's not that I do not see progress, I do actually see some progress (have an i7-3930K). The render just "gives up" and returns to the realtime viewport. If I then try to restart the render, keyshot itself crashes.

Robert V.

Hi Thomas,

I continued to experiment with this scene, and I found out that as long as I stay below 14 rays (so, 1 to 13) the render finishes. If I choose 14 or higher, keyshot crashes.

With these settings I could render it in just below 4 minutes.

1280x720
Samples 25
Rays 13
aa 4
Shadow 6
GI 5

So could it be something Gem-material based problem?

guest84672

br3ttman

Hey Robert!

Thanks for sharing your scene!  I've been doing some practice renderings with a Coca-Cola theme to explore a variety of mapping and material techniques and have been trying to dial in the cola liquid and ice material.  Curious, why did you use the gem material vs. glass or other material approach for the ice?

Also, does anyone have tricks for creating condensation?

guest84672

The gem material is a derivative of the glass material.

As far as condensation goes, use an image of water drops and apply as a bump map. It work quite well.

br3ttman

Thanks Thomas!  I'll try your suggestion of using a water droplets image as a bump map!

RocketNut

I have a simmer problem. Along with rendering stopping I can not assign materials to the model. I click and drag on the one I want to assign to the model. Nothing happens. Then I am unable to save the model. It says it saving but when it gets to 99% there it sits.  Then I can not close the model or any thing else.