Main Menu

memory

Started by PhilippeV8, September 06, 2012, 04:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilippeV8

From what I can see ... why is KS limited in memory use ?

I need to import some parts and it just won't let me import them all.

In KS2 I can import untill 1.120.000 kB
In KS3 I can import untill 1.440.000 kB

After that, it just hangs itself.

I'm runing Win Xp, but I have a boot setting to alow for 2.9 GB of ram being used.

Ruckus

It's hard to say exactly what is happening from the information you gave, but my first guess would be that you are simply running out of RAM.

From what I have seen, KeyShot uses RAM at a rate of 2 to 2.5 times the size of the input.  For example: Opening a 334MB .bip file uses about 900MB of RAM;  Opening a 4.49 GB .bip file uses about 10GB of RAM.  The numbers you gave seem to fit with that approximation.

My question is:  Why would you limit the amount of RAM?

PhilippeV8

Well, I've got 3 or 4 gigs of RAM in that computer and it's runing WinXP.
XP on itself only lets you use 2 gig ram per aplication.  Unless you set up something in your BIOS to make it save less ram for the kernel.  That is what I have and this way I should have 2.9 gig ram per aplication.  But for some reason KS doesn't even go that far ...

PhilippeV8

No word for the KS team on this ? ;)

Ruckus

Windows also has some safety mechanisms that will override your selections, and not run itself completely our space in RAM.  Which may explain why you don't get all the memory you expect.

I still think this is a problem with running out of hard memory (RAM), and having to use disk memory (your swap space).  Keep in mind the estimate I did above was just for opening a .bip file.  When you are importing some other file you will need even more memory, because what you are actually doing is an on-the-fly translation.  Both the file you are importing and the KeyShot internal format will have to be in memory at the same time.  When the import finishes, KS will free up the memory it used for importing.

When your process "hangs" I would say it is just using very slow and possibly insufficient swap space.  I would set your swap space to a minimum of 8GB in this case.  Using swap space is extremely slow, so be patient, and if you still can't get the job to complete then we can work on optimizing your swap space.

PS.  When purchasing your next machine plan on getting at least 16GB RAM (32 GB is better, but still very expensive)

guest84672

There is not limit in memory usage. Are you running XP32bit?

PhilippeV8

Thnx for the feedback  :D

Yes, we're still on XP 32bit  ::)

For some reason IT doesn't want to use anything newer.  Laptops were bought recently having Windows 7 .. they are formatted and then get an XP install.  Cant understand why .. but it seems they (IT) have more power than others ... :p

guest84672

Yes - that is always the case. :-(

Claus Jensen

How about installing Windows XP 64 bit instead if your IT guys really insists on using a 10 year old OS?

swashbuckler

Alarm bells go crazy in my head when I hear XP64, our IT dept did the same thing with frustrating results.

Just make sure that *all* your drivers are available as XP64 versions, and your important applications do not have issues with it either. We had issues all the time until we were able to move to Win7.

I feel for you though, I work for a 40,000+ employee company and cost is a major reason for not upgrading the OS :-\