TopMod / Mathematical Models

Started by Despot, September 13, 2012, 07:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

A couple of years back i did a whole load of models with TopMod, lost them in a system crash and after that pretty much lost interest in the program...

until last week that is - when i rekindled my passion for it, all the modelling is my own and TopMod was the only app used ;D

Anyway here are a few renders, tell me what you think, comments are welcome and if anyone wants a model to play with I'd be quite happy to oblige - but be warned some of the meshes are quite heavy on the polygon count / filesize front, i.e the two spherical ones weighed in at nearly 600 MB each for the .OBJ

Although Keyshot handled them admirably...

Thanks for taking a peek

Best J

Speedster

Yikes!  These are really exciting!  Great job modelling, and cudos for the renders.  Thanks for sharing!
Bill G

Josh3D

These look incredible. Will have to check out topMod!

swashbuckler

Wow, those are killer models, and the renderings are fantastic! Looks like it must have been fun to rediscover the fun of modeling! :)

What HDRIs did you use for these? The lighting works extremely well for you on these, good job!

Despot

Quote from: swashbuckler on September 14, 2012, 12:30:30 AMWhat HDRIs did you use for these? The lighting works extremely well for you on these, good job!

Hello mate, a lot of these are custom hdri's that are used at my place of work for studio renders, in a few cases the contrast was increased by 30% or so for a little bit more colour vibrancy - thanks very much for the compliments, its much appreciated...

J

Dylan

Wow those are great. I never heard of Topmod, must look at that. Is it easy to use?

Despot

Quote from: dillster on September 14, 2012, 08:42:50 AM
Wow those are great. I never heard of Topmod, must look at that. Is it easy to use?

Hello Dillster, its not really that difficult, but I suppose that depends on your level of competency with modelling packages... i read /saw a few tutorials and just picked things up, all those models originally started life as either a Dodecahedron, Icosahedron or a Geodesic Dome, then i just used the different subdivision algorithms to get some interesting surface topology.

I then performed other operations like 'Add Hole / Handle', 'Rind Modelling' and various extrusion techniques to get the final meshes you see here...

.OBJ's were then exported from TopMod and then imported into Cinema 4D R13 for a final smoothing subdivision

J