Black Steel? I am missing materials in the Library?

Started by Xidor, September 19, 2012, 12:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xidor

Guys,

A colleague I'm working with is using Keyshot, the most current version. His version has not only Steel, but a Black Steel and Blue Steel option in the material library.

My copy of Keyshot is up to date and I don't see these two Steel options in my library! He says they came with Keyshot. We are both rendering a product, his is one version and mine is another and we are maintaining similar materials. So I am just faking my Black Steel by making it black.

I am curious why I don't seem to have it. I am running a copy on my Mac side and Windows side and I don't see Black Steel in either version.

Thanks!  Nelson

guest84672

I am not sure, but it may have come with one of the older versions of KeyShot. You can migrate those materials by importing them.

You do know that all material are made based on the 20 or so core materials that KeyShot contains? To make black steel, you start with the metal material in the pulldown menu in the material editor, and make the color black. Then adjust roughness accordingly. Apply a bump map to achieve certain finishes. Save the material. Done.

Xidor

Thanks Thomas. The thought had crossed my mind that perhaps those two Steel materials migrated from an older version. He could have inherited those materials from the last guy who used that computer too.

And I did indeed go into the editor to make steel black, so it worked out.

jhiker

There was, at one time, some talk of a 'material sharing' forum but I don't think it came to anything.
I still think it's a really good idea though  ;)