CMYK values - "Bug report"

Started by Bornhall, October 03, 2012, 03:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bornhall

Seriously, how can you SERIOUSLY release a software where you enter CMYK values as a value between 0 and 255?!

CMYK values are percentages of color, i.e. 0-100% (possibly with decimal places if you're really picky), not an 8-bit value.

Same goes for the SATURATION and VALUE in the HSV color model, which also should be 0-100 - not 0-255.

Also, while I'm at it, how about adding the Lab color model as well? If you can get that right... :-)

Claus Jensen

It is a matter of interpretation. We have been made aware of that 0-100 is a more common range and this will be changed for the next version. For now you can practice your math and divide by 255 and multiply by 100 ;) The next version will also work with floating point precision.
CIE-L*ab is available in the next version.

Bornhall

Quote from: Claus Jensen on October 03, 2012, 05:19:26 AM
It is a matter of interpretation. We have been made aware of that 0-100 is a more common range and this will be changed for the next version. For now you can practice your math and divide by 255 and multiply by 100 ;) The next version will also work with floating point precision.
CIE-L*ab is available in the next version.
Sounds great, but I'd beg to differ about "interpretation" of CMYK values. I work in print MAINLY, and I have NEVER seen CMYK values represented in any other way than 0-100, as a percentage. Of course you can represent it in any which way (0-1023 or whatever), but that's beside the point. Good to hear this will change in the next version along with the addition of La*b* values.

Btw, curious, how are the color values stored in the "palette" below (and overall, I guess). Because when I entered CMYK 100-60-90-20 (well, translated into your "interpretation" 255-153-230-51), but upon revisiting that saved material/color, it had become something else (rendering right now, so I can't check it) where the C-value was 100, M was set to 0(!) and Y and K to whole other values. The color basically looked the same, but it gets unbelievably confusing when color values you THINK you set changes without interaction :)

Keep up the otherwise good work!

P.S. Don't forget my RAL colour wish list suggestion ;-)

P.P.S. I'd rather practice my math and multiply simply by 2.55, or 100% Cyan would be 39 with your math (100 divided by 255 and then multiplied by 100 - it's the other way around dude).