Brand new Retina Macbook Pro

Started by Xidor, October 25, 2012, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xidor

I just upgraded from a 2009 Macbook Pro with a 3.06 ghz core 2 duo CPU with 4 gb of RAM to a 2012 Retina Macbook Pro with 2.7 ghz CPU quad core i7 with 16 gb of RAM. I am using the most current Keyshot 3 Pro.

Quite a jump up from the old Macbook Pro. I am not sure how the frame rate thing is supposed to work. Here is a screen grab after the file had a minute to rez up. It ramped up to 55 at one point and down to 40 something before it settled to 51:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I did a test render of a project I'm working on now. On my old Macbook Pro, its took about 25 to 28 minutes to render at 3000 pix wide. The part had Softtouch material on parts of it, rough plastic and glass. The new Retina took 4 minutes and 48 seconds. Quite a speed jump from where I was.

I see you guys have faster frame rates. I guess if I had a 12 core machine, this render would take a few seconds. :)

There's one other thing I'd be curious if Thomas could address. Obviously Keyshot is very CPU intensive. On my old MacBook Pro, with a KS file at idle, just rezzing up, there's a slight bit of fan noise telling my the fans are on at low speed. On the Bootcamp side, after a minute or two or three of idle time, the fans kick in at full speed! So I always did my renders on the Mac side.

On the Retina, I've only installed and set up Keyshot on the Mac side, and at idle, the fans kick in pretty quick and at pretty high speed. During a render, it's revving at a very high speed. After the render finished, I noticed the fans slowed down. Since I'm new to this machine, I guess it's the way it is. Kind of disappointing the fans have to kick in so soon.

jiyang1018

Keyshot is very CPU intensive software, and does not really use lot of GPU power, which Macbook pro has a lot.
Apple laptop shell itself is a big but flat heatsink, so keep enough airflow below your laptop when you are rendering. I think the new iMac should perform slightly better in Keyshot.