metal reflaction on diamond

Started by hitesh.m, October 28, 2012, 12:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hitesh.m

Hi,
i have render same ring in keyshot and vray but result is big different, the most imp thing i observe is metal reflection is too much on diamond that is killing the beauty of ring and diamond studded in ring, rendered diamond is not giving the result up to the mark, please any help on this problem appreciable. i m looking for high end realistic render image of my designs. Thanks in advance for every help.

Thanks.
Hitesh

guest84672

Please make sure to increase the ray bounces in the setting tab. Also turn on global illumination.

hitesh.m

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, according to your instruction i have render with global ilumination on and ray bounces 12 result is far better from previous,please  find attached image for new result.

please also let me know this is best i can get from ks or any more your valuable suggestion i can improve more for final image.

Thanks,
Hitesh

guest84672

It all depends on your lighting. The diamonds are hit with direct light, and so is part of the metal. You may want to play with the settings in environment tab - rotation and height in particular.

PhilippeV8

I was going to say:

Your render is 1000 times better already ... and I do not like the v-ray result better at all.

And to get from where you are now to where you want to be with that illustration .. I think it's all about lighting and HDRI from here.  Study how to add light & dark zones to your scene with the HDRI editor or HDR light studio.

Yes you can !

fario

ray bounces: 16, is better for diamonds

Ed

A couple of tips for diamond rings:

1. Make sure the diamonds don't intersect with the metal geometry.  Diamonds need to float in space and not touch any other object.  The gaps can be extremely small, but don't touch or intersect other geometry.

2. The HDR will have the largest impact.  The startup HDR for example will generally make the stones look lifeless.  Diamonds need multiple small light sources on a darker background - not a large diffused light source.  Think of rings displayed in a jewelry case at the store - lots of small lights coming from multiple angles.

3. Sometimes the intense light needed for the diamonds makes the metal ring look blown out.  You can either adjust your metal material to better react with the strong lighting, or render in two passes using one HDR for the stones, and a different HDR optimized for the metal.  Then combine in Photoshop.

The result you want is definitely possible in KeyShot - keep experimenting.

Ed

hitesh.m

thanks for all valuable suggestion, sure i have to do keep experimenting and i hope i get best result im expecting.....