Quick mapping lesson in native CAD

Started by Speedster, October 29, 2012, 07:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi gang;
There's often questions about "mapping" as preparation for KeyShot materials, especially from newer KS users.  Thought this might clarify what's required, using my SolidWorks trestle model as an example.  Each color (some closely similiar, but actually different) was applied in SW to allow me to properly align the wood grain.  See especially the ends of the timbers.  Hope this helps demystify mapping!  I will say applying the colors was like being inside a Max Escher drawing!
Bill G

PhilippeV8

LoL @ Max Escher ... I sure can understand that  :D

Good visual on the subject, Bill !

I sometimes get people at my desk asking if I wanna do a Picasso and that it doesn't look real, haha !
Then have to explain over and over that I'm asking them about camera angle or 3D modeling accuracy and not materials/textures/lighting yet.

Speedster

So true!  In college, when I was a Technical Theatre Arts major, my professor and I were way up on ladders finishing painting the set.  This was like the night before opening!  The director came in, saw how much work remained and how awful it looked at that stage of completion, and freaked out.  The professor looked down at him and said "We never show unfinished work to fools and children".  I'll never forget that great lesson!
Bill G