Import problems from NX

Started by tfinlay, November 08, 2012, 11:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfinlay

Problem 1)  In the manual, the import dialogue box shows the option to "Keep individual parts" and group by with a pull down menu selection.  I don't have this... why? 

Problem 2)  When I open native NX files, some of my solids are missing faces

Problem 3)  When importing from NX, how are things grouped?  It seems to sometimes be by color, and sometimes be random.  How can I unlink/ungroup everything and then just apply materials to each face on my own?

guest84672

@1. It is not needed. It shouldn't be in the manual. We will correct it.

@2. What version of KeyShot are you using?

@3. Grouping occurs to by part (i.e. identical parts are grouped together), and by color applied on the part level. If you want separate surfaces to have a different material, you will need to assign a color to the surface inside of NX.

tfinlay

guest84672

tfinlay

Ok, I'll see if I can get IT to upgrade my machine.

So what is the common workflow for importing stuff?  Is there a simple way to unlink all surfaces/materials from the start?  I spent a significant amount of time importing this model, now I have to go back to nx and export a new one to simply change the color of a certain face?

Also, when you say part-level, you mean that in NX I can't "paint" my components from the assembly level, but it must be done from the part level?  I'm not quite sure how it works in NX, but many of my parts appear differently depending on the level of the assembly tree I am working in.

On a related note, will there ever be a plugin for NX?  What about Solid Edge?  Solid Works?

tfinlay

Perhaps there is a format keyshot reads that does not have any texture/color information?

tfinlay

I have requested IT upgrade my machine, but in the meantime, here is a picture of some of the problems I am having:

The black area at the top of the image... that should be a continous surface, not the cavity that appears.  Same goes for the black/shadowed area at the bottom.  The random surfaces that look like shavings shouldn't be there.

wtf = keyshot image
wtf2 = scnreenshot from NX

swashbuckler

crazy, i also had a similar problem today when importing a part into NX, it rarely happens, but it seems to do so when it's a more complex edge or corner. Here's my screenshot, running the current version of KeyShot. I also don't have any solution to this other than re-making the surface or thickening it :/

tfinlay

Well, for me it works if I export as .stp.  That's my workaround.  I'd much rather deal with native NX files, or even Parasolid (especially considering NX has a terrible .stp translator), but both of those result in the above problems :(

Exporting to JT also worked for me, but its a really really really really long translation time.  Like upwards of 20 minutes in each direction... so 40 minutes to get a file into keyshot.