Main Menu

Render LAYERS

Started by Pepster3D, December 21, 2012, 09:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepster3D

output render layers options, like the ones used in Vray and Mental Ray.  Diffuse, reflection, shadows, etc.  VERY important for agencies that use retouchers to finalize their images.  Also creating masks or alpha channels for the different material IDs is also very important for the same reason.

DriesV

Masks for different objects or materials can be created in KeyShot using the 'flat' material type.
I suggest making a copy of your scene file and then manually replacing the materials with contrasting flat material colors to get a clown pass as a result.
The flat material is not being considered for GI and it is not "shaded", thus it calculates very fast.

guest84672

KeyShot 4 Pro will feature render layers, as well as passes such as depth pass, clown pass, and normal pass.

simonnankivell

Hi Thomas, the render layers look sweet in v4, but the render passes still seem to be lacking.

As the original poster said most post production retouch require separate specular, diffuse, reflection passes. I know we can set them up manually, but that's additional render time, our current rendering software runs all of the outputs at render time.

Until then I can't use keyshot for production which is a shame as we could make a lot of use of it with automotive projects.

KeyShot

Thanks for the input. We will be adding more render passes to KeyShot.

guest84672

Simon - there are lot of users that are using KeyShot for automotive projects. You may want to talk to Feher.

simonnankivell

Hi Thomas, thanks I'll probably drop Feher and Jbeau a line and see if there is thing extra I could be doing at the moment.

I have been using keyshot on automotive for a while and way back when it was hypershot on various projects,
but we had the same problem the retouchers wanted seperate passes for reflection, diffuse, transparency as well as alphas for different materials paint,wheels., etc

We used to set them up, using flat materials etc and rendering them of different machines to save time (the days before network rendering), but its an additional process not as simple as a checkbox.

Since then as a result I've had to move back to other rendering solutions. Ive been hoping each revision that we would get a full render layers system. The new render layers now included in KS4 may get me some where there. But being able to render out additional passes would be great, I look forward to things being a little more versatile.

Its a shame for example I've got a few shots at the moment which I prevised in keyshot, but will have to render finals in Vray to get the outputs for our retouchers.

In the meantime I'll try and remind the retouchers that they don't get passes from photographers :)

guest84672

Time to look for new retouchers ... :-)

We will add more passes in the future.