Support for 3D Connexion Space Navigator

Started by v8dave, February 21, 2010, 09:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

v8dave

Support for the Space Navigator would make positioning and aligning the model much easier.

I also support the need to have the tree view of parts and the ability to right click on an item in the tree and set the material type. This would save a lot of trouble trying to set material types for small parts in the model. I spent hours tryingt to set a number of small parts and having to reset the adjacent part when it was changed by mistake.

guest84672

Sam

ok for the answer but I back this and say : YES these are 2 big issues for current CAD users that enjoy the occasional render.

Usability as transparent as possible and CAD-like as possible, with the 3Dconnexion and model tree this is 2 for 2!

Miles

The ability to move the object and also the ability to move the camera, would be great.....

guest84672

Mies - what do you mean? Move the object with the Space Navigator?

Richman

I believe he means the second way of using a space navigator (SN). 

1. Camera mode - SN controls the view point (fly around) 

2. Object move mode - SN controls the object, it's orientation and location.  The camera is fixed. (like holding the object in your hand)  (hold the SN in one hand and manipulate it with the other. Imagine you are rotating the actual object in your hand.) 

This can be toggled in Sketchup.  I prefer mode 1 the typical camera mode, but I know other people who find the object mode 2, oddly enough easier.

guest84672

I think we will focus on camera mode first ...

Miles

I was thinking of the possibility to manipulate the object within the scene (Move Object command). Certainly,  camera control is the priority.......

guest84672

KeyShot 2 has a widget to move objects so this will make it much easier.

Miles