Let's Swing - radiator in interior setting (...in KeyShot 4)

Started by DriesV, January 29, 2013, 08:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Interior setting with a radiator, rendered up in KeyShot 4 beta.
This specific radiator is marketed as 'Swing'. ;D It has a steel cover panel that gently curves to the wall around the side edges.

I tried to create a synergy between the concept 'Swing' (as a verb, dance style...) and the atmosphere of the scene, by using soft, jumpy and colorful tag letters.

KeyShot 4 feature highlights in this image are:
* use of area lights & IES point lights (combination hard & soft shadows...)
* interaction of IES point lights with translucent materials

Thanks to Ivan for sharing the scene that served as the basic starting point. ;)
Quote from: ivansuisse on January 25, 2013, 12:20:14 PM
Ivan

Dries

DriesV

I rearranged my scene a bit and played with my tones.
I decided to fully showcase the radiator.

1st image: desaturated background + DOF (made in PS using KeyShot 4 depth pass with lens blur filter)
2nd image: desaturated image without DOF
3rd image: full color + DOF (depth pass)
4th image: full color without DOF
5th image: single pass rendering straight out of KeyShot

Dries

fario

fantastique!

Quote* use of area lights & IES point lights (combination hard & soft shadows...)

is there a function softening shadows created by the new spots? in V4?

I still think too hard shadow under the chair.

DriesV

With 'IES lights' you can only cast hard shadows.
Using 'area lights' you can create either hard or soft shadows, depending on the size & position of your light panel (or object).

See images below as reference. Please note that these were rendered very quickly.

Dries

fario

it's really nice to explain.

It's weird, a light kind area, power does not change, whether large or small in size.

fario

it would be really easy and ergonomic Luxion that gives us additional parameter shadows ALL types of lights V4

type: hard, medium, soft, custom

DriesV

Quote from: Antoine on January 30, 2013, 04:02:36 AM
it's really nice to explain.

It's weird, a light kind area, power does not change, whether large or small in size.

In KeyShot 4 you have a 'Power' parameter for the area light. You dial in f.i. 300W of luminous power.
Whether the light panel is small or large, it's always emitting 300W of light. However, on a large panel that luminosity is distributed over a much wider area, hence the cast shadows are softer and the lighting appears more diffuse.

Dries

DriesV

Quote from: Antoine on January 30, 2013, 04:05:07 AM
it would be really easy and ergonomic Luxion that gives us additional parameter shadows ALL types of lights V4

type: hard, medium, soft, custom

I do agree with you on this one.
E.g. Vray has a 'shadow radius' parameter for spot lights that lets you (artificially) soften non area shadows.

Dries

fario

I also think luxion should improve in the V4 this:

When you create a material type: light layer that is automatically assigned to this component or new light.
I think of complex architectural scenes or 10-50 - ... lights are in place and manage the level of powers and shadows.

---

I would also like Keyshot that, by default, automatically directs the IES profile: vertically downwards.

thank you and sorry if my post Dries is somewhat off topic, but this topic is very interesting and key user community in interior design.

KeyShot

In terms of shadow casting then we follow the physics here. I don't think we will go the route of assigning lights to only affect specific materials as this gets really messy quickly. We may look into using an area source for the IES lights to get soft shadows, but IES lights are by definition point sources that cast hard shadows. I do see your point about always having the IES lights point downwards on the first instantiation. We will look into this.