Planar and volumetric cross sectioning on "off the shelf" CAD models

Started by DriesV, February 11, 2013, 12:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

It would be nice if KeyShot would be able to let us create cutaway views of our models by using planar or volumetric geometry to determine the 'cutaway boundaries'.

Now, when we want to create cutaway/cross-sectioned view, we have to meticulously prepare them in CAD.

I imagine a KeyShot feature where you import production CAD models and then use a planar face, cube or other volume to slice through the model. The cut geometry is then automatically capped and the section faces' color/material can be specified per part in the scene tree.

Just an idea to make our lives easier... ;)

greetings,
Dries

KeyShot

DriesV

PhilippeV8

DriesV

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on February 11, 2013, 02:06:24 AM
That would affect 90% of my work ...  :)

Philippe, I can imagine! ;)

Omg, I'm really going wild on this idea...
What about an "Engineering add-on"? With features for sectioning, curvature analysis, rendering with part/subassembly/assembly outlines...

Dries

PhilippeV8

Quote from: DriesV on February 11, 2013, 05:32:09 AM
Quote from: PhilippeV8 on February 11, 2013, 02:06:24 AM
That would affect 90% of my work ...  :)

Philippe, I can imagine! ;)

Omg, I'm really going wild on this idea...
What about an "Engineering add-on"? With features for sectioning, curvature analysis, rendering with part/subassembly/assembly outlines...

Dries

Yeah, the sky is the limit ey ?!  ;)

If I can do what I do in 30 days in 5 minutes .. I won't have my job long  :P  They'll make me do DTP for the rest of the time then  :o

DriesV

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on February 11, 2013, 06:14:02 AM
If I can do what I do in 30 days in 5 minutes .. I won't have my job long  :P  They'll make me do DTP for the rest of the time then  :o

Philippe, you're being too apocalyptic. :)

I always say (at least from now on... ;D): "Do NOT underestimate the POWER of the inhouse visualizer."

Dries

KeyShot

DriesV